How to cover your tank so fish don't jump out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm getting denison barbs and I found out they occasionally like to jump. Now the plastic hinge thing covers part of the tank as does the class under the light. But the back where the filter is will have a like a 2 inch by 8 inch opening. What's the most convenient to cover this are so my guys don't jump out and die.
?

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could use some of that plastic Saran wrap stuff to cover it up. Or use some kind of netting and cut it to fit your needs.

Get some egg crate/light diffuser panel in the drop ceiling tile section of home depot. Cut carefully with a razor knife and snips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ha, at one point I actually trimmed some of my Miller Lite box to make a cover for the back of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I roll up a washcloth and set it there to cover it and works great.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is so many ways to do it.. i would always avoid anything that's paper/cotton based as it will hold moisture and mold.. I'm sure hunter has a new miller light box every Sunday morning so....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ill add this: that "plastic canvas" stuff that you get at craft stores (ie Michaels or Hobby Lobby) cost around $.25 a sheet and are very easy to cut to whatever size and shape you need. Based on the dimensions you provided, one sheet would be enough, I think. Bonus: they come in a variety of colors.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ill add this: that "plastic canvas" stuff that you get at craft stores (ie Michaels or Hobby Lobby) cost around $.25 a sheet and are very easy to cut to whatever size and shape you need. Based on the dimensions you provided, one sheet would be enough, I think. Bonus: they come in a variety of colors.

Thanks so much for mentioning this, great idea!

That -is- brilliant! And it wouldn't be too difficult to superglue some little hinges to it, if the fancy takes you.

I'm not sure saran wrap would be a great idea. I'd be worried about evaporation-condensation and water interacting with whatever saran wrap is made from and possibly leeching back into the tank

Back
Top Bottom