How to disinfect a used tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batusi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello
I recently acquired a used 90g for a price I couldn't refuse. Unfortunately it was occupied by 2 giant goldfish, 2 giant plecos and an infinite amount of pond snails, also it had been neglected for some time and the algae was pretty thick on the glass.
I was able to put the fish in a cycled tank I've been prepping for some cichlids until I can rehome them.
I just finished cleaning the algae on the new tank and noticed it had crept under the edges of the silicone.
My question is what would be the best way of cleaning that up without disturbing the integrity of the seal and also prevent it from respreading once I get it up and running...and also to kill any snail eggs that may have remained.

Thanks in advance!
Matt

Hello

I recently acquired a used 90g for a price I couldn't refuse. Unfortunately it was occupied by 2 giant goldfish, 2 giant plecos and an infinite amount of pond snails, also it had been neglected for some time and the algae was pretty thick on the glass.

I was able to put the fish in a cycled tank I've been prepping for some cichlids until I can rehome them.

I just finished cleaning the algae on the new tank and noticed it had crept under the edges of the silicone.

My question is what would be the best way of cleaning that up without disturbing the integrity of the seal and also prevent it from respreading once I get it up and running...and also to kill any snail eggs that may have remained.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Could use sanstar sanitizer. It is used for sterilizing kegs kills bacteria does not stain and will not react with silicone. Also rinses cleanly leaving no chemicals that could hurt the tank life when refilled. Vinegar is another option and same principle is kills via acidity.

Bleach can can be used but please watch your langauge on will require very thorough rinsing before and I would recommend a dry out period to ensure all chlorine has gassed off.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the quick reply!

I already used vinegar to get rid of the hard water stains left from all the evaporation. That's good news if you think the acidity will kill/sterilize anything left in there because I really did not want to use bleach!

Bleach is the safest cleaner to use for aquariums. It breaks down very quickly into water and is easy to clean out.

The seals on the other hand are a different matter. Seals that have algae growing underneath them are on their way out. Its possible that the tank could last another 5 to 10 years, but imho its safest to just redo the seals. Its not a difficult job by any means, just takes a bit of elbow grease.

Back
Top Bottom