How to disinfect filters and decor/plastic plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChileRelleno

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've searched high and low to no avail, guess I'm not using the right keywords.
Can someone please tell me how to disinfect the filter and other decor/plastic plants?
Do I need to do the tank too?
Or will the meds have taken care of all the bad guys?
I will be needing to do this since I treated a disease in some new fish.
I would prefer not use bleach, but will if I must.
I usually keep the QT up and running with a Betta to keep it cycled.

thanks, Chile.

The best way I know of is to use a small amount of bleach and water solution. Always make sure to rinse well in hot water. This works on none porous items only, like plastic.

I never even thought of that. Once the diseased the fish are cured, it's over as far as I can tell. I have never had something come back once it was fully gone from the fish.

Or will the meds have taken care of all the bad guys?

If the meds were used correctly, you shouldn't have to disinfect any plants or decor. Just be certain the disease is gone, do your normal water change, and put new carbon in your filter to take out the antibiotics.

This was an antibiotic treatment, right? :oops:

Yes, this was a antibiotic treatment. I'm pretty sure it was Columnaris and I stomped on it HARD with a combination of Melafix, Pimafix and Jungle Fungus Clear. The disease has cleared but I'm still having problems getting these Banded Rainbows to eat :evil:! The Neons I have in QT with them are eating like pigs and very active, the Rainbows are more active but not eating very much if at all. I've seen them mouth flake and then spit it out and pick at BBS, but no active feeding,GRRRR!

I have one serpae tetra that has a mild, but stubborn case of columnaris that just won't seem to go away.

So, right now, I'm doing the MelaFix, PimaFix, Jungle Fungus Clear thing too! I'm glad to hear that it appeared to work for you and I hope your rainbows get back to their normal hungry selves soon.

Just wondering, how were your tank's water parameters during the treatment? Any ammonia spikes? Biofilter still OK?

Back
Top Bottom