How to divide an aquarium half water half land?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cornflakes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some red clawed crabs and I use a 70 L aquarium.
I tried to put in a divider wall and sealed the edges with silicone sealant, let it
dry for 30 hours but when I put the water in, it still leaked through to the other side. Mind you, I angled the divider so that there is an ascending/descending path and not a complete 90 degree vertical wall (so that made sealing it harder).

I want the water side to be deep enough so that I can use a small filter system in it, but at the same time, if it's too deep, then I would require an extremely large amount of gravel/filling to fill the land part so that its "sea level" so to speak. I was thinking of maybe filling in the land part first with an empty container or something to elevate it so I won't need as much gravel/filler material to get it to sea level.

Or should I just fill the ENTIRE aquarium with water and put as much filler material on the land side so that it rises above the sea level?

I'm also worried about too much humidity in my room as I already struggle with keeping the humidity level down (mold growing on my walls and food that i put in the aquarium etc).

Also, what is a good way to warm up the aquarium during cold winter months? I've put saran wrap on the top of the aquarium to trap in some heat (cut a decent size square patch in the corner for ventilation), and I also use an incandescent light bulb lamp that points into the aquarium as the lamp gives off quite a good amount of heat.

How about using the underwater light heater? I saw one in my local store for about $10-15. Do those work well?

What are the measurements of the tank?

Hey bud, I have a 55g tank for my water dragons, very similar to what you want. Check out this video of my current set up, then watch my other videos. They're only 1 min and a half each and only have 5. But I have had both setups.

http://youtu.be/FX-qDCWWDTM

Last edited by a moderator:
Egg cartons? I mean egg crate as in the light diffusing stuff.

Ah, you mean the foamy/spongy egg crates like the ones they use on walls for soundproofing? Or did you mean actual egg crates (the cardboard trays that are used to hold 50 eggs)? In either case, I think both are great ideas.

The white things in this picture are egg crates, you just put a mesh screen over those and the substrate on top of that. Most people put a filter pump under it.
Zoo meds viquarium is also a good choice for about 75 usd

Attachments

• image-3079022622.jpg
    image-3079022622.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 929
The white things in this picture are egg crates, you just put a mesh screen over those and the substrate on top of that. Most people put a filter pump under it.
Zoo meds viquarium is also a good choice for about 75 usd

Yep that's a false bottom.

I am building a similar project and plan to construct a false bottom with rock, eggcrate, and pvc pipe. I have the same question on mold and also what pump to put under the false bottom to make a water fall.

I am building a similar project and plan to construct a false bottom with rock, eggcrate, and pvc pipe. I have the same question on mold and also what pump to put under the false bottom to make a water fall.

Any pump will work, sometimes it takes trial and error though, my 90gph pump wouldn't put out enough water, in my opinion, for a 8 inch wide water fall.

Any pump will work, sometimes it takes trial and error though, my 90gph pump wouldn't put out enough water, in my opinion, for a 8 inch wide water fall.

Problem is I know nothing about what is a good pump or anything lol I want it to lift the water 12ish inches and then make a small waterfall and a stream.

Well. All you're doing there is connecting a hose the to pump and then to the back of the water fall. These water falls do come premade but they aren't very big and cost a butt load. Homemade ones are nice but not amazing. I'm a diy kinda person

With this. The water can be anywhere from 2 inches to like 6 inchs.

Attachments

• image-2893210713.jpg
    image-2893210713.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 9,328
Back
Top Bottom