How to feed frozen Bloodworms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just use the worm feeder cones (one on each side of the tank) and throw a cube in each one and let the water thaw them out.

Any large pieces of stuff that are not worms usually stays in the cones, and I rinse them out before the next feeding. I use the small cones.

If you dont thaw it out beforehand you are going to slightly pollute your tank with the frozen "ice" and other residue in the block, which is full of worm juice

But my fish do prefer me popin it in so they can chase it around
and i think the the melting worm residue triggers the smell receptors on fish like cats and such.

:fish2:Thanks to everyone who tool the time to reply and offered advice.
I will try putting smaller pieces in a net or cone feeder. Will certainly save me trying to find the worms when they have sunk to the bottom like I had to this morning. :brows:

:fish2:Thanks to everyone who tool the time to reply and offered advice.
I will try putting smaller pieces in a net or cone feeder. Will certainly save me trying to find the worms when they have sunk to the bottom like I had to this morning. :brows:

If I don't let some drift down to the substrate and into crevices, I feel like in depriving my cories and loaches of an all-day treasure hunt! :ROFLMAO:

If I don't let some drift down to the substrate and into crevices, I feel like in depriving my cories and loaches of an all-day treasure hunt! :ROFLMAO:

. As Guppies & Tetras are small one worn would probably last a week I was worried about it all settling at the bottom is I assumed it would rot and pollute the water. Is that not the case then ?

For my betta I thaw like 1/4 of a block of mini bloodworms I grab some between my fingers and let them dangle and he grabs them right out. Then I don't feed him for like 2 days cause he gets fat when I do this.

. As Guppies & Tetras are small one worn would probably last a week I was worried about it all settling at the bottom is I assumed it would rot and pollute the water. Is that not the case then ?

It may well do if you don't have a clean up crew.

You can thaw the cube and feed half of the worms and the put the rest in the fridge- I've kept them a couple of days in the fridge, and they were fine.
Or if you have a good sharp knife just chop the cube.

If they are in a smallish tank, then definitely thaw first. I use a net to thaw and strain the worms and either hand feed, or, typically just swish the net in the tanks and watch the ensuing feeding frenzy! :lol:
In a large tank, especially before a water change, I sometimes drop the cube in, but it doesn't trigger the same response. My glass perch go up and nudge it, then come back and stare at me with their big ugly mugs as if to say 'well?? Come on! Where's the food then??'
:blink:

How often do you feed w/ bloodworms? I do every third day w/ flakes, so would it take the place of a flake feeding?

Was considering adding bloodworms to diet, as I had heard flakes only is not the best pattern to be in...

Have 2 zebra danios, 2 blue rams, sword, 3-spot gourami, two nerite snails right now.

Was considering adding bloodworms to diet, as I had heard flakes only is not the best pattern to be in...

Have 2 zebra danios, 2 blue rams, sword, 3-spot gourami, two nerite snails right now.

That depends on whether its a top shelf flake. If your fish happily eat flakes, I wouldn't start them on worms. They may become picky and turn their nose up at flakes. A flake only diet is a lot better than a worm only diet!
I feed a whole bunch of different pellets/granules - from 0.5mm to 3mm, algae wafers etc.. My favourite and most trusted brand is new life spectrum (NLS) but its expensive so I buy them in bulk.

Back
Top Bottom