How To Fix My Tank Parameters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToxinSmoke

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a Freshwater Master Test Kit today and started testing the water in all of my tanks. Here's what I have...

Chlorinated Tap Water: No additives.
Ph 7.6
High Range Ph 8.0
Ammonia (NH3/NH4+) 1.0ppm
Nitrite (NO2-) 0ppm
Nitrate (NO3-) 0ppm

10-gallon: Guppies, Danios, Platies & 1 Cory Catfish.
Half of a Tropica Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba' Live Aquarium Plant, 4 Luffy Marimo Moss Balls, Filter, Submersible 50-watt Heater
Ph 7.6
High Range Ph 7.8
Ammonia (NH3/NH4+) 0ppm
Nitrite (NO2-) 0ppm
Nitrate (NO3-) 0ppm

5-gallon: 5 Neon Tetras & 5 Ghost Shrimp.
3 Nano Luffy Marimo Moss Balls, Filter, Submersible 50-watt Heater
Ph 7.0
Ammonia (NH3/NH4+) 4.0ppm
Nitrite (NO2-) 2.0ppm
Nitrate (NO3-) 5.0ppm

3.5-Gallon: 1 Male Betta & 2 Ghost Shrimp.
Half of a Tropica Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba' Live Aquarium Plant, 4 Nano Luffy Marimo Moss Balls, Filter, Submersible 50-watt Heater.
Ph 7.6
High Range Ph 7.8
Ammonia (NH3/NH4+) 0ppm
Nitrite (NO2-) 0.25ppm
Nitrate (NO3-) 0ppm

1.5-Liter: 1 Ghost Shrimp.
5 Nano Luffy Marimo Moss Balls, Under Gravel Filter.
Ph 7.6
High Range Ph 8.0
Ammonia (NH3/NH4+) 0.25ppm
Nitrite (NO2-) 5.0ppm
Nitrate (NO3-) 5.0ppm

Seems like your 5 gallon and 1.5 liter are in the middle of a cycle since you've got nitrite showing up so prominently. Doing water changes could crash the cycle though, so I would be adding bacteria or media of some kind from an already cycled tank. Just let it ride out and make sure your ammonia doesn't get any worse. 4.0 ppm ammonia is extremely high.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Listen to I am a cool guy ...
Ammonia no higher then 1ppm. If it is 50% water change.
If nitrite is 1ppm 50% water change.Nitrite is worse then ammonia for your fish and will take them quicker..Search 'brown blood disease' and see if your fish are salt tolerant if you fall behind on waterchanges ,which you should NOT.
You can't crash a cycle that is not even complete!
Is that like crashing a car in your dreams?

I flushed my 5-gallon tank but, my results are still high even after letting the water settle for a few hours. Is there anything else that I can do? Is there any water chemicals that I can use that would benefit my tank and help me reduce my findings without hurting the fish & shrimp? Maybe real plants or driftwood? Something?

Current results for 5-gallon:
Ph 6.6
Ammonia (NH3/NH4+) 2.0ppm
Nitrite (NO2-) 1.0ppm
Nitrate (NO3-) 5.0ppm

My water has ammonia straight from the tap, but it's well water and I live on an animal refuge, so that's kind of a given. Because of this, I have to treat with prime everytime I do a WC.

Also, I have crashed a cycle before it was complete by doing too many water changes. If you keep taking away the bacteria in the middle of the cycle, it has to repopulate to a point where it will start to make a dent in your ammonia or nitrite.

Back
Top Bottom