How to get driftwood to sink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmckinniss

Aquarium Advice Regular
A few weeks ago I picked up a gnarly piece of driftwood from the "wild," hoping to insert it into my 55g tank. I soaked it for a couple weeks to draw out the tannins and then placed it in the aquarium. Now, my question:

How do you get driftwood to sink?

Sinking Driftwood

A few weeks ago I picked up a gnarly piece of driftwood from the "wild," hoping to insert it into my 55g tank. I soaked it for a couple weeks to draw out the tannins and then placed it in the aquarium. Now, my question:

How do you get driftwood to sink?

Hello mm...

If you want the piece at the bottom of the tank, you'll need to pick up some rocks to weigh it down. Otherwise, it will float indefinitely. The good news is, the rocks look very natural in the tank and you can attach plants like Anubias and Java fern to them with strands of sewing thread.

Actually, if you want to get a little creative, you can just float the driftwood and attach plants to it like Anacharis and Water wisteria. The floating pieces look very nice and the fish feel more comfortable in well planted tanks.

B

I just posted about this same issue. It was suggested to attach it to slate and bury the slate base. My piece is small and just won't sink!

I just got some driftwood and it would not stay down. I boiled it off and on till all the tannins were out and the water ran clear and boiling it makes it absorb water. After 3 days on the stove, it stays down with no problem. Just make sure it has cooled down before putting it in the tank. Hope it helps!

I just got some driftwood and it would not stay down. I boiled it off and on till all the tannins were out and the water ran clear and boiling it makes it absorb water. After 3 days on the stove, it stays down with no problem. Just make sure it has cooled down before putting it in the tank. Hope it helps!

That's a great idea. Trouble is, this piece of driftwood is 3' long! Hahaha! I think I may have to tie it off.

Hello mm...

If you want the piece at the bottom of the tank, you'll need to pick up some rocks to weigh it down. Otherwise, it will float indefinitely. The good news is, the rocks look very natural in the tank and you can attach plants like Anubias and Java fern to them with strands of sewing thread.

Actually, if you want to get a little creative, you can just float the driftwood and attach plants to it like Anacharis and Water wisteria. The floating pieces look very nice and the fish feel more comfortable in well planted tanks.

B

This is a very cool/realistic idea. Who hasn't been fishing, seen a floating log and cast alongside it? Next thing you know, that big 8 pound bass that was chillin' under it smashes that topwater frog! Sorry for going off topic a bit,couldn't help myself:)

Nice Picture

I just posted about this same issue. It was suggested to attach it to slate and bury the slate base. My piece is small and just won't sink!

Hello bren...

Just a non fish related comment, please. I liked the picture of you and your cat. We're cat people too, but on a different level than most. We have 11. Have 8 that stay indoors all the time and three who've adopted us, but live in our garage. We call our place "the petting zoo".

B

Back
Top Bottom