How to get Rid of Cloudy Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaffooJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! I have been caring for fish for a couple years now, and have never had completely cloud free water. What do you guys do? I have seen some photos on here, and you guys and girls water is dust free! I have never tried any chemicals, but i do weekly water changes, so whats up? Any tips would be appreciated! :thanks: :fish2:

Would carbon be consider a filter pad? Or do i actually have to go out and buy carbon?

Carbon is those pads. Did you cycle the tank? What's your stock? What's your parameters look like?

Alright, so, my filter pads say they have carbon in them. The tanks was cycled, my stock is a black moor, a ryukin, a baby lion head, and a comet. My parameters i'm unsure of, but a test kit is on it's way.

Alright, so, my filter pads say they have carbon in them. The tanks was cycled, my stock is a black moor, a ryukin, a baby lion head, and a comet. My parameters i'm unsure of, but a test kit is on it's way.
I'm gonna go ahead and say your stock is likely what's causing it. I suggest removing a few and it should be back to normal soon.

Are you sure? They're in a 55 gallon. I don't wanna let them go! I guess i could just get another tank.

Are you sure? They're in a 55 gallon. I don't wanna let them go! I guess i could just get another tank.
for some reason I was thinking you had a thirty gallon :/ sorry. Still it's a wee bit over stocked. Goldfish are very messy and poopy fish. Moors and comets get very large. I do not know about the lionhead and ryukin. Now this is me speaking, I know nothing about these fish but IMO you can keep the lion and ryukin as long as you keep up your water changes.

Haha alright! Now, do you know any other ways? I sometimes can't see end to end on my tanks :(

There is chemical stuff at the pet store, but can that do harm to my fish? I'd rather have cloudy water than sick fish!

There is chemical stuff at the pet store, but can that do harm to my fish? I'd rather have cloudy water than sick fish!
it won't (shouldn't) harm the fish. But that's a temporary fix, you're still overstocked and that won't fix the size of the Moore and comet. And in my experiences with that stuff it made my tank more cloudy than it did clear. It literally dyed my water blue for a week.

Hahaha, that sucks. I guess I will get a separate tanks, or maybe go bigger! :thanks: :fish2:

What type of filtration are you running? Carbon or chemicals will not help in this situation.

Drastically increase filtration and water changes/cleaning and there should be improvement in clarity. I would consider rehoming the comet to a pond. The baby lion along with the moor and ryukin would be ok for a bit but you should also consider upgrading their tank as well. :)

+1 on purigen. It's the best water clarifying product I've found to date. And it lasts a lot longer than carbon.

There are many reasons.

If it's white cloudy: May be suspended gravel particules, bacterial blooms,etc.

If it's green water: Maybe too much light, stay below 8hrs/day light.

Can purigen be bought at petsmart? I'll check their website I guess.

Back
Top Bottom