How to get rid of fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackiee

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got my 29 gallon aquarium last Christmas and it's doing great. The day after I got it my mom's friend called her and asked if I could take her fish because she didn't want them anymore (a few white tetras and an orange gourami). They're all still doing fine. I've added with them a few angelfish and they are all doing fine, too. But, I'd like to get different kinds of fish, and possibly get rid of the fish that were dumped on me? How do I do this?

I can't get another aquarium, and I don't really want to advertise them anywhere because it would be a lot of hassle for just a couple fish.

Can you check with your local fish stores and see if they'll take them? Usually, smaller LFS will take fish you don't want. If you really want to get rid of them, tell them you don't want any money for them or credit....they should take them then. Its worth a try. :)

Try asking people you know if they would want the fish. If you can't get anyone to take them, try giving them to a pet store. They may gladly accept them and may give you a small credit or just ask to trade all of the ones you don't want for one or two that you do.

my LFS offered to come pick up the fish I'm still trying to get rid of, only thing is they wanted like 25 bucks for a service call as they called it, some stores will even let ya post a flyer advertsising the fish, but thats usually only mom and pop type stores

It's not really worth it for the LFS to come and pick up your fish. They would have to drive and waste gas for a couple of fish that they will sell for nearly nothing. If you were to go to them with the fish, I am sure they would take them. So, you could take them there and look for new fish at the same time.

FYI -

you can list your fish you don't want any more for FREE on craigslist.org under your state - just click on the free section and make a post it gives you a email address so your's isn't national which resends it to your email account - from prospective ppl -

do an ad like this:

fish ( what types they are here ) FREE-

in the body of the ad : put free for pickup only - 5 fish (name them ) and the size tank you have - and a idea the general size they'd require when fully grown .. tell them they must pick up between certain times or a certain day -

i'm sure you'll get atleast 10-15 ppl emailing about them - if that don't work then take them to the lfs after a week if your cramped for time .. Its really easy to rehome fish on craigs. you could also look in there for fish tanks cheap - some times even FREE .

theres my couple cents .lol

MIKE.

Why put the size of tank. I am assuming that Jackiee doesn't want to give the tank itself away, but putting it in the ad would suggest that he is.

I think Jackiee wants to keep the 20gal. tank for some other type of fish.

UM- alot of ppl don't know anything bout what size fish actually grow to - and it could prevent a mistake by new owners by putting the fish in a to small of a home - I 'm not saying giving a way the tank- everytime i look thru the list ppl always saying free- fish - ok- thats good- how bout some specs? Like what type they are half the time ppl don't even know what they have or anything .i'm just making a suggestion thats all so the fish endup in a proper home and not have to BE re-re homed -

Mike.

Some good possibilities is the LFS if they will take it, craigslist, and another option that I used for my pleco, since the LFS wouldn't take it because of it's size, I posted it on the bulletin board at the LFS. Got a call the very next day. I just put down, Free to good home, Large Pleco.

Back
Top Bottom