How to get rid of these snails ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanJee

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi
I have these 2 types of small snails in my aquarium. Snail2.jpg is a little bigger than Snail1.jpg. Is there any way to get rid of them :?: . I am fedup to throw them out every time I sit in fornt of my aquarium. :roll:

Attachments

• snail1_152.jpg
    snail1_152.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 54
  • snail2_181.jpg
    snail2_181.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 55
I believe those are actually good snails to have (someone please confirm that these are good snails) - they clean up debris. But if you want to remove them one way is to put some lettuce or zucchini in the tank overnight. The snails will go to them for food, then you can remove the piece of vegetable along with the snails.

You can use the veggie trick or you can introduce a predatory species into the tank. Various kinds of loaches will eat snails. Upside down cats will eat snails as well as many more aggressive cichlids. I've heard banjo cats will eat snails as well. I don't know if any of these would be compatible with what you've got in your tank though.

They are Ramshorn snails. Very cute little guys. You can trick them out with lettuce (put a piece in over night and take it out the next morning) or manually remove them.

It could be a long battle? You could try the lettuce, but I don't know how affective it is. Clown Loaches should be kept in groups and will get to large for your tank. Even if you did they probably would not get all of them. You could frustrate your self to death every time you see one picking it out, or you could buy chemicals to kill snails but you would have to be careful not to harm your fish and get dead snails out before it pollutes your water. There are other species of fish that will eat snails if you look around. I have foolishly got snails a few times because I didn't inspect or quarantine plants enough. Both times I had a great flashlight and some patience and found them all after a few days. Good Luck

pic1 are ramshorn snails. You can remove the eggs *jello looking sacs* on the glass usually with your finger or smoosh it. Your fish might learn to eat it and come running whenever you go on egg squishing patrol.
Can't place pic2 but maybe someone on applesnail.net can help you there.

The other snail looks like a common pond snail. Those things will reproduce like CRAZY! The lettuce trick works well with them.

@joannde
I believe the same but the only problem is they reporduce/multiply like crazy specially Snail2.jpg in my 14G tank. This tank is for breeding purpose so only 2 small Cories are there and remaining all fry. I never used any vegitable will try lettuce/zucchini.

@hulkamaniac
Cichlids I don't have, Cory cats yes, banjo cats 8O :roll: I have searched for the picture it looks horrible :roll: I believe it will grow soon like pleco.

@Fishyfanatic
You are right. Did some research and found out this link. http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/snails.html very helpful. Natural way is the best lettuce/zucchini. 8)

@tdalessa01
As you said Clown Loaches is a good way but not suitable for my aquarium. Chemicals is the last choice, first I will go for lettuce/zucchini.

@Musket
Right. Yesterday while cleaning the filter I have seen first time this *jello looking sacs*. Need to introduce Otocinclus Indepth and Crossocheilus siamensis. Thats the only difference in my both tanks.

if you do want some loaches, Botia striata stay fairly small (~3") and don't bother anyone, and my two are snail eating machines!

newfound77951 said:
if you do want some loaches, Botia striata stay fairly small (~3") and don't bother anyone, and my two are snail eating machines!

Good tip. Would be a good change for me. Lets see how this machine works for me :wink:

You can kill the snails for a few cents, but you may want to pick the dead snails out so you don't cause an amonia spike. Just put a few pennies in your filter. The copper will kill them all.

Back
Top Bottom