How to go about setting up a QT tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkremer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I have a question about starting my own QT tank. So far I have successfully kept alive my first fish, 4 green swordtails. Also, I have added two Yo-Yo Loaches, and everything has been wonderful.

However, I am starting to see the need to have a QT tank to make sure newcomers don't infect my main aquarium. Some have mentioned a 5 gallon tank would be fine, but since a 10 gallon is so inexpensive (9.99), might as well give the fish a little more room to swim.

I guess I only have one big question. How do you keep the filter cycled? I found a Penguin Mini 100 gph rated that I think would be fine for it, but once I manage to cycle it, how do I keep it that way? When I get my tiger barbs, I will probably get 5. 5 tiger barbs in a 10 gallon tank is probably too many to cycle with...

I would perhaps just keep a small fish or two in there all the time, but then if I have to put a sick fish in there to treat him, that's not really fair to the full-time QT tank fish either!

Any ideas? Any advice on the step by step creation of a QT tank?

Thanks!
Paul

When I'm not using my qt tank, I run the filter on one of my established tanks to keep the bio-filter alive. Cycle the mini on your current tank for a few weeks before you get the qt. Remember to not let the bio-wheel dry up or come in contact with chlorine, this will kill the bacteria. The bacteria will also starve if they are without food for 24 hours.

Heres what I use for my qt:

10g tank /w hood and low light
AC Mini (Runs on my 55g while not in use)
50w Heater (Big al's brand)
No substrate (MUCH easier to clean the bottom, I vacuum up the poop when I can)
And I have a plastic plant and a little castle for cover

The whole thing cost me $30 canadian

Back
Top Bottom