how to increase sucking power?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the Ents

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi all,

we just bought a power gravel cleaner (lee - looks lie a python),
and don't notice any real improvement in sucking power vs the hand-type.
(oohh, my other-half is smirking over this post...) :roll:
our panaque is a reaaaally dirty gal and we also need good power for the 15G which is on the bottom shelf. any suggestions?

55G FWcommunity
15G FWcommunity
10G FWQtank

It depends on your water pressure. The higher the pressure, the more suction you'll have. How about a powerhead in line? Maybe a Maxi Jet 1200. Once you start the flow, plug in the PH and let it "help" with the flow. All I can think of.
Logan J

If its a 15 gallon usually a cleaning is only one bucket. I would use a smaller vac that sifons into a bucket. I still us it on all my tanks lol.

How close to the floor is the tank it may be having promlems with the water reversing gravity travelling to the drain??

Chris.

I use the old fashion method too on all my tanks. I guess I like being able to see what I suck out just in case (I have sucked up fry once or twice)

I use a python, but in a different way. I run it out the door into the yard. This way it has a big gravity drop which increases the flow dramatically. It also saves water. Of course you do have to suck on the tube to get it started, but that don't bother me no how.

Of cousre you have to hook it to the faucet to refill, but thats no big deal to me.

OK, thats 4 times so far in this thread that we have had to use some form of the word SUCK!!!

Well, you guys sure don't s**k!

(metaphorically speaking - i read the swallowing tank water thread, as well) :p

Water pressure - i think we have too much as it is - so many bubbles in tap water that we've really have to age it in a bucket to get rid of the fizz, and are skeptically filling on trickle setting with the hose from the faucett.
We did a 50% change on the upstairs 55G and i realized that there's a neat little switch that may work.
Gonna change the 15G now, touch wood...

On the watering the grass tip, i wondered about that, could be good fertilizer, and eco-friendly, too. Do you use a regular garden hose or is your window close-by?

My front door is close to the biggest tank (90), so yes it runs into the grass. Haven't really noticed any difference to the grass, but it must be better than commercial fertilizer, or at least more eco-friendly, like you said.

Yes, I use the really filthy tank water to water my house plants, havent used any commercial products on them for years, and they do great! Cant really do that with the python though, but i do a fair amount of changes with a regular syphon and buckets, so frequentlyhave some gunky tank water to use on the plants. Any smell the water may have is gone in an hour or so, don't know how that works, but it does.

Back
Top Bottom