How to increase tank stock capacity for around 10-15 bucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icydeath

Aquarium Advice Addict
How to increase tank stocking capacity for around 10-15 bucks

A lot on what stocking levels are based on is surface area, not just water volume.

For example, a betta in a 5 gallon has a stocking level of about 80% according to aqadvisor. Using the same 5.5 gallon you can get stocking level to about 56%. Although this does not aid waterquality, it increases dissolved oxygen and increases side to side swimming room for the fish at the expense of height. Due to height loss, most but not all fish would appreciate the extra surface area.

You probably have a few questions such as:
1. How do you increase the surface area?
2. If I do this won't I just have a fish tank on its side and not an operable fish tank?
3. How do I do this and what do I need?

1. Simple. A majority of fish tanks are taller than they are wide, in order to increase surface area, turn it on its face. Doing this causes the height to become the width and vice versa. For example, a 5 gallon is 16 long x 8 wide x 10 high. This is assuming it is on the base which is 16 long x 8 wide. When turned onto its face the base then becomes 16 long x 10 wide.

2. Although your surface area is increased, you now are missing a side wall and have an unnecessary top wall. In order to resolve this with the least amount of resources possible you are going to need to remove the top wall and make it into your missing side wall.

3. You will need electrical tape, sheet or two of sandpaper, a simple hand held glass cutter, a drywall taping knife, a razorblade (handle optional), and a bottle of silicon. Make sure it is 100%, a lot of people use GE Window and Door. Make sure there are no chemicals such as fire retardants or fungicides. The procedure goes as such:
1. Remove all bracing. This can be done by using a drywall taping knife and sliding it between the trim and the glass panel on both the inside and out. You won't need the trim so you can break it off or move off the trim slowly by easing each side bit by bit to get rid of the silicon on top of the glass edge. Do not apply to much force or you risk breaking the trim (if you want it) or breaking the glass.​
2. Then remove the front or back (now the top if you have it on its face) by sliding the razorblade between the silicon seals. Keep your hand holding the outside edge of the panel that isn't sealed (three sides should be sealed) and carefully remove the glass once the seals are cut.​
3. Now you will notice that the panel you have separated is noticeably longer than the side panels. In order to fix this, measure out the excess length. You will be cutting the excess and using it as a brace later. Measure the excess and mark a line across the glass.​
4. Cut along the mark a few times. Make sure it etches the glass well. You may need to turn the wheel a few times and have a a few knives because each blade is only good for a few cuts, this is dependent on aquarium length.​
5. Sand down the edge of the new side panel that has been cut and the brace. Be careful as it is very sharp.​
6. Turn the tank on its side with the area for the new side panel facing up. Now you want to apply silicon along the outside edge of the three edges that are facing upwards on the aquarium.​
7. Quickly place the new side panel onto the siliconed edges and make sure it is flush. Once flush, use the electrical tape to tape the new panel onto the existing panels.​
8. Using the excess glass from the panel you want to brace the aquarium from side to side, or depending on the width of the panel, cut it into 4 braces and eurobrace the tank.​
:

OPTIONAL BRACING STEPS 9-12:
9. Silicon the shortest sides of your cross brace on the face and press it firmly onto the aquarium. It should reach from side to side and sit on top of the tank.​
10. If you choose to eurobrace the aquarium, the brace into 4 identically wide strips. For example if you have a 10 inch long and 4 inch wide strip, you would want to mark and cut to create 4 10 inch long and 1 inch wide strips. Now measure the inside front to back dimension of the tank and cut two strips to that dimension.​
11. Remember to sand down the cut edges!​
12. Now silicon the two panels that are the front back dimesions of the tank, inside of the tank walls. Make sure it is flush with the top edges of the walls. Make sure to prop them up or clamp them or tape them in place. Finally you want to silicon the remaining braces from side to side, right on top of the braces you have put in, making sure to have contact along the edges.​
13. Wait until the silicon is dried to use the razorblade to scrape off the excess silicon.​
14. In three days to a week you should attempt your first water test. If the tank is leaking, drain it, dry it, and reapply silicon. Make sure to work the seam with your fingers.​
15. Once the tank is waterproof and you have waited about a week for the silicon to cure completely, start cycling!​

I hoped you guys enjoyed the walk through and I hope you choose to do this to allow you to increase stocking while increasing space for your livestock. Remember this does not allow you to reduce maintenance and waterquality constraints are still in place.

Best of luck fellow fish keepers!

I've had stocking hit 4 digits with AqAdvisor. My setup is designed for changing plenty of water. Nifty little tool for someone new to this, but stocking is half art, half science. They take care of the science part, tough to quantify art.

I've had stocking hit 4 digits with AqAdvisor. My setup is designed for changing plenty of water. Nifty little tool for someone new to this, but stocking is half art, half science. They take care of the science part, tough to quantify art.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your stock?
I don't exactly know, nor have ever seen, how Aq has reached 4 digits without me either A.) dicking around on it putting stupid stuff in like alligator gars in a five gallon just to see what it does. or. B.) I made a typo putting in the dimensions and instead of 48" I put in 4.

But back to our topic at hand that's a very very cool and intuitive way of fixing a problem! I recently just bought a five gallon Fluval Spec V and noticed how a couple Chili Rasboras can send aq advisor into the stratosphere. Too bad the filter is built into the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was only using AQAdvisor as a method to provide data.

However, I think we can both agree that surface area over height does increase how much fish you can stock/how much room you have to aquascape.

Dcutl002, I understand that this doesn't increase bioload capacity, it only allows you to get a higher stocking assuming your bioload and water parameters are undercontrol. It lets you stock higher thank you normally can, but this only assumes you aren't overstocked as is.

This is mainly for people with good parameters and want to give fish more space, or have more space for fish. This is within reason of course.

I don't exactly know, nor have ever seen, how Aq has reached 4 digits without me either A.) dicking around on it putting stupid stuff in like alligator gars in a five gallon just to see what it does. or. B.) I made a typo putting in the dimensions and instead of 48" I put in 4.

But back to our topic at hand that's a very very cool and intuitive way of fixing a problem! I recently just bought a five gallon Fluval Spec V and noticed how a couple Chili Rasboras can send aq advisor into the stratosphere. Too bad the filter is built into the tank.

Haha that same tank got me thinking of this. You can follow the same steps if you are willing to remove your filtration by slitting the silicon. I'm sure you can mod it by cutting the walls to the height of the new tank and using the extra glass to build a side for the filter box (this is if you put it in a corner). If I ever get around to modding this tank in particular, I will start a thread.

I've had stocking hit 4 digits with AqAdvisor. My setup is designed for changing plenty of water. Nifty little tool for someone new to this

It's a nifty little tool for anybody who wants a ballpark figure for the filtration capacity and weekly water change needs of their stock. Not everyone is interested in overstocking to the point of needing elaborate water-changing setups.

Haha that same tank got me thinking of this. You can follow the same steps if you are willing to remove your filtration by slitting the silicon. I'm sure you can mod it by cutting the walls to the height of the new tank and using the extra glass to build a side for the filter box (this is if you put it in a corner). If I ever get around to modding this tank in particular, I will start a thread.

Haha yeah that's a lot of work to a tank my parents didn't want me to get anyway. That's still an interesting idea about modding all that stuff that I never considered!

Depends on the tank. I'll load up a 40b with over 100 quarter size angels, running box & sponge filters. I'll put a dozen adult angels in a 55 for pairing. AqAdvisor doesn't seem to like that filtration, even though it will provide more bio & mechanical filtration then say, an AC110.

It is a good starting point for beginners, much as the old inch per gallon guideline was years back. I don't fault them at all for that, but it certainly isn't an ending point by any means. I'm sure it's helped many people starting out from getting into a situation they aren't prepared for.

However, I think we can both agree that surface area over height does increase how much fish you can stock/how much room you have to aquascape.

We certainly can, I've got a rack of the previously mentioned 40b's, along with a few kicking around earmarked for a fishroom expansion. Generally taller tanks with a smaller footprint are more for show, lower tanks with a larger footprint get sucked up by breeders. 55's are a pretty common tall tank, I might run a sideways one through AqAdvisor just for giggles. Something of that size would probably make it more financially feasible than a 5 gallon, used 10's go for around $3 here, 55's are around $30 used.

Dcutl002, I understand that this doesn't increase bioload capacity, it only allows you to get a higher stocking assuming your bioload and water parameters are undercontrol. It lets you stock higher thank you normally can, but this only assumes you aren't overstocked as is.

This is mainly for people with good parameters and want to give fish more space, or have more space for fish. This is within reason of course.

I understand. No harm done.

Depends on the tank. I'll load up a 40b with over 100 quarter size angels, running box & sponge filters. I'll put a dozen adult angels in a 55 for pairing. AqAdvisor doesn't seem to like that filtration, even though it will provide more bio & mechanical filtration then say, an AC110.

It is a good starting point for beginners, much as the old inch per gallon guideline was years back. I don't fault them at all for that, but it certainly isn't an ending point by any means. I'm sure it's helped many people starting out from getting into a situation they aren't prepared for.

This makes a lot more sense now, thanks for clearing that up!

My dozen pairing angels & a couple sponge filters come down to a 150% stocking rate with a 55 gallon sideways. Leave it standard & it's 263%. Just for fun, stand it on end, 600%. Fun idea, I'm really having a good time with this!

I've got a buddy who buys cracked & broken tanks for pennies on the dollar, then reassembles. Last time I was through his growing 65 tank setup I didn't notice him doing anything like this, you know I'm going to mention it to him!

Back
Top Bottom