How to keep a tank cycled with no fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sadly, my betta passed away in my 10 gallon. I don't plan on adding any fish until the new year, will just focus on the plants until then.

What is the best way to keep it cycled? It will have a Nerite snail in it but that's it. I know the "best" way it to dose with ammonia but I'm going to be away for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I'd prefer something I can leave in the tank. I know people use fish flakes (heard some bad things about these, though), shrimp, etc. What's my best bet?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it wasn't for the snail I would dose to 4ppm with ammonia just prior to going away and then re-dose on your return. The bacteria will be fine for a couple of weeks and could then do with building up a little on your return.
However, I don't know about using ammonia with snails. Perhaps someone else can chip in.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

I could a.) take the snail back to the store or b.) keep it in a small betta bowl. I will be away for 2 weeks over Christmas, will that be enough ammonia?

Any suggestions guys? Seems like I have two options:

Take the snail out and dose 4ppm ammonia before I go away (will this be enough for 2 weeks?)

OR

Keep the snail in and add dead shrimp. Will this work and would a frozen shrimp be ok?

Take snail out and dose ammonium and you might shoot for 5/6 with that amount of time it will surely be fine

Back
Top Bottom