How to keep cichlid agression down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorsfishchannel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
29 gallon 3 cichlids ive heard diffrent ways to control cichlids agression or not excactly control but ways to help

anybody tell me if these ways would help?

Adding more lava rocks at the moment i have 1 lava rock and 2 limestone's

Overcrowding the aquarium with alot of fish so they cant pick on certain fish.

Any other ways? i want to add more lava rock anyways..

heres a video of my aquarium

bruinsbro1997 said:
What cichlids???

Try rearranging the tank and see if that works.

x2 on the question an the rearranging of the tank. But curious, what type of Cichlid's?

Gatorsfishchannel said:
the video is yellow lab cichlids and i dont know what kind the other

I tried looking up on google as I have one also. I'm going to check my book and see. The only thing I could find is this

View attachment 62537

View attachment 62538

View attachment 62539

I'm new to this whole hobby and I'm doing as much research as possible. Do any of those pictures look like your Cichlid?

29 is a small footprint for cichlids they need their own space to call their "own"
you should not put anymore in there , you can go with the smaller species of cichlids but these guys will get 4-5 inches in no time my 2 cents worth :)
good luck

looks like u have a cobalt blue zebra and 2 yellow labs. id bet the CBZ is male and the darker lab is male too. this means biig aggression, as there is only one female.
there should be at least 3f to 1m, so the aggression is kept down. overstocking a tank usually helps as it stops them making territories, so that tank will only just work for the fish. but u shouldnt get more than 5 (1m 4f) and even then its a bit much for the tank size with bioload. u need to do a fair amount of pwc to keep up that puppy lol
reducing the temp can reduce the energy and calm aggression, feeding less meat-based foods can also control aggression.

how grey is it? does it have a blue sheen to it in the right light? female CBZ dont get that, they have a pale blue/grey and their stripes are quite pale.

and convict2161 lol about the convict ;)

I know with jack Dempsey cichlids to prevent/deter aggression keep the temp lower. Idk if this will work for you or not. Just throwing it out there!

I agree that your tank is too small long term for these fish. The blue one maybe a cobalt blue zebra, it could also be a red-top zebra. Regardless, if its a zebra it will get 5 or 6" in size and much more aggressive than it currently is. You should have way more rock and hiding spots in the tank than you do, as the male lab will pretty much constantly harass the female with that open of a tank, and most likely end up killing her in the process.

Back
Top Bottom