How to keep ph down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you

Any levels are achievable? So if ro water has a ph of 7 and I want 3.5-4 for my iniridaes can I do that using your products listed? Will flourish or replenish lower my ph that low also does these products contain buffers to hold your ph steady so there isn't a huge swing?

Yes you add like one ml per gallon per 1 hardness you want to increase. So if you add 2 gallons of reverse osmosis and want 3 hardness you add like 6ml to the reverse osmosis

Ok but can I reach my desired ph of 3.5-4? Others the fry will never hatch.

Just Curious, But what is that rock in your tank?

I have no idea what rock it is I found it on the side of a trail and thought it looked cool.

What is your tap KH/GH? Could that rock be leaching carbonates? Also, it really sounds like you're treating this problems that's not actually a problem. You've described your fish as being very healthy. If didn't have a test kit, would you even know that you had a problem? Getting an expensive RODI setup seems excessive considering this hasn't been a problem for you so far.

I am not home right now so i can't test the water but will do this when I get home. I already have an rodi system for my saltwater fish tanks. The reason I want to lower it is i want to keep a but and I feel that they would be strugglin in such a high pH.

so tested the water that i usually put into my aquarium and the readings are:
GH: 25ppm
KH: 175ppm
pH: 8

So there is something in my aquarium that is making my GH, KH, and pH go up substantially.
hopefully I can figure this out soon.
I don't want to do water changes because my nitrates are already lower than they should be in a planted tank.
:(

so tested the water that i usually put into my aquarium and the readings are:
GH: 25ppm
KH: 175ppm
pH: 8

So there is something in my aquarium that is making my GH, KH, and pH go up substantially.
hopefully I can figure this out soon.
I don't want to do water changes because my nitrates are already lower than they should be in a planted tank.
:(

And I'm betting is the rock. That's why I asked what it was. If you don't know what it is, chances are it isn't inert, there are only a few acceptable rocks for freshwater, slate...etc etc. Even lava rock in too much quantity, will raise your pH.

Last edited:
And I'm betting is the rock. That's why I asked what it was. If you don't know what it is, chances are it isn't inert, there are only a few acceptable rocks for freshwater, slate...etc etc. Even lava rock in too much quantity, will raise your pH.

I would agree.

Also, do you know what kind of sand you're using? Could it be a sand for saltwater?

O darn this was one of the set ups that I actually kind of liked.

Lava rock is 99% of the time inert. I have 200+ pounds and it doesn't change my ph at all. This is only true of natural lava rock though.

Yes, and at least 2 of the bigger named chains sell "Lava Rock" that is not natural, in many cases they also pass off Lace rock as Lava rock as well.

So I just poured vinegar over the rocks and there was no bubbling from either of them but one of the rocks that had algae on it turned red is this bad or is it just dead?

That's not oak. It almost looks more like holly to me. But If your KH is really that high, then I doubt adding leaves (they need to be dried, BTW) will have much of an effect.

You need to put vinegar on it and let it sit for a bit (few minutes), and see if little bubbles form.

Also, any word on the sand?

That's not oak. It almost looks more like holly to me. But If your KH is really that high, then I doubt adding leaves (they need to be dried, BTW) will have much of an effect. You need to put vinegar on it and let it sit for a bit (few minutes), and see if little bubbles form. Also, any word on the sand?

the leaves i gave up on the leaves would be for my dirted tank it was just a side question.
I know that the leaves need to be dried i just took that picture for better identification.

one of the rocks is still sitting in the vinegar and I didn't notice any thing

the sand is just petco gravel

That's not oak. It almost looks more like holly to me. But If your KH is really that high, then I doubt adding leaves (they need to be dried, BTW) will have much of an effect. You need to put vinegar on it and let it sit for a bit (few minutes), and see if little bubbles form. Also, any word on the sand?
it does look far more like holly than oak

Yes, and at least 2 of the bigger named chains sell "Lava Rock" that is not natural, in many cases they also pass off Lace rock as Lava rock as well.

I get mine from landscaping places but my petco has real lava. As for the leaves op those aren't oak. If the rocks didn't bubble by now then they aren't your source. Normally the ph from the tap goes up. To get your true ph you need to let is sit for 24-48 hours then test.

Well i was talking to blitz and i decided to remove the rocks for a few weeks just to make sure.
there really isn't aything else in the tank that i would think would force the pH and GH go up but maybe the eco-complete?

Back
Top Bottom