How to know if second treatment is needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have four guppies, 16 neon tetras and two red wag platies. All four guppies were acting very lethargic, but three of them are acting great now and their fins are flowing and full. The yellow guppy is still pretty lethargic. He is doing a little better, but he looks thinner, his fins seem clamped and he just hangs out about two inches below the surface. Not gasping or anything, just staying there.

The platies always stay hidden, but when they come out they actively look for food and swim all over the tank. Otherwise they stay under a piece of driftwood together. One of them had a white patch on its side that seemed to have a bulge, but I am not sure. I do not see it enough. The white patch was not cottony and it is a bigger spot or patch than ick. All of my neon tetras, the ones that I was told had a problem from the place I bought them (they told me after the fact as they did not previously know) they are all fine, but when I first got them they schooled together. Now they are just all over the tank willy nilly.

Anyway, I am scheduled to do the post medicated pwc of 25% or more and put in the carbon to filter out the meds tonight. I may wait until Friday morning. Anyway, would there be any harm in treating one more time? I am using tetra fungus guard. My parameters are Ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5. ph 7.6.

Nope, you should treat until all signs are gone. Do the water change more like 50 percent. Then redose the meds. you want to do that to get all the poop, food and yuck that happened during the first treatment.

Back
Top Bottom