how to lower and stabilize pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lonestar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon tank that, according to the cheap, inaccurate dropper test, has a pH of over 8.0. I would like, for my fish's's sakes :D the pH to be closer to 7.0. I don't like the idea of using chemicals to achieve this, and the kH of near 200 ppm (around 10, I think) would just raise the pH again. I am using a Dr. Wellfish (tm) "Water softner pillow" which I believe is peat in a sack, and I "recharge" it daily with aquarium salt. Although I was skeptical, it has helped, according to the test kit.

Despite the lower kH, the pH test kits still measure the same. Even my tap water is off the chart. I know they're inaccurate, but can these tests be that far off?

To keep my pH low enough to even measure, I would have to use a LOT of pH-lowering agents and I just don't feel comfortable doing that to my fish.

Is there a sure-fire fishy-safe way to maintain a pH closer to 7.0?

Remember that a stable pH is better than the "ideal" pH. RO water may be your best bet. Do you have lots of wood in the tank?

Take a sample of water into the LFS and ask them to test it. Get the exact value.

Hi lonestar,
What is your exact pH? Can you take a sample to the lfs so they can verify the results?

My tap pH is 8 or 8.2. What kind of fish do you have? Some fish prefer this pH, like cichlids.

But the fish I have don't like it this high, so I mix half RO water and half tap water. Filtering with peat in the filter (probably similar to your water pillow), or RO water is the safest for the fish. Driftwood helps also -- I have some soaking in a bucket; it's not ready for the tank yet! You are right not to use chemicals -- they often rebound anyway.

So, I would verify your pH reading, and also verify that it is too high for the fish. How are the fish acting? They may have acclimated to this pH, and changing it all the way to 7 will stress them very much. With my mix of tap and RO, my pH is now about 7.4.

Here is an article about pH: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=40

The article points out also that rapidly swinging pH values are very bad, and that if your pH is stable, that may be best for the fish, even if it isn't a perfect 7.

CO2 injection will lower your ph and would be good for any live plants. Plants will lower your hardness a little. A stable ph in the mid 7s would be better than one that jumps up and down near 7. :D

I haven't decided how to finish stocking the tank yet, but as of now I have 5 cory cats, 1 clown pleco, a comet goldfish, and 3 ghost shrimp.

I'm going to take my water to the lfs tonight and see exactly what my readings are.

My concern is not so much having a neutral pH, it's more that I want to make sure it's not way too ridiculously high for them. I was kinda planning on tetras to finish my stock, but a way high pH wouldn't be the best for them.

Anyway, thank you all for your input and when I get back from lfs tonight I'll update.

Thanks again

lonestar 8O

I keep it at 75 - The goldfish came from my mom's goldfish tank because my girl though he was cute. It was supposed to be temporary to keep the nitrogenous bacteria going after cycling until I decided how I wanted to stock. He seems to be doing ok and is very active, although I am planning on returning the little guy to his family soon (if my girlfriend lets me?) or giving him to her in a 10 gal or something.

I am planning on returning the little guy to his family soon (if my girlfriend lets me?) or giving him to her in a 10 gal or something.
That would be best for the goldfish and then you can increase the temp a tad for the tropicals.

What did the LFS say about the pH of your water?

Hi,

It's so illuminating to hear others have these high pHs, too. I was wondering that there is something wrong in my tank.

My tap water is 7.4 right out of the faucet. After one night standing it is 7.8. Then I tested same water with same kind of rocks in it than in my tank and the ph was still 7.8. But the pH in the tank is 8.2-8.4. And I'm adding a good amount of ammoniumcloride there, which should have brought the pH down. (I'm starting the tank the fishless cycling way. Ammonia is over 4ppm.)

Sorry that this is kind of out of thread, because I can't help you. Just struggling with the same theme.

I went to local pet store yesterday. They treat all their aquarium water with reverse osmosis. Except for chiclids and some other fish. That way it will come cheaper for them. Water is so hard in the region. Hard water puffers pH changes. They had a beatiful big angel-tank. They had signs everywhere which said not to put any rocks or shell to freshwater tanks. It will increase the amount of particles.

So, reverse osmosis is a way. Worth of trouble? Maybe.

Local Petco does not do that. They do not even carry angels.

Back
Top Bottom