how to lower ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
my amazon themed aquarium
1-angelfish
1-bolivian or blue ram
6-bleeding heart tetras
6- juli corys
need 6.0 to 7.0 and my water is about 8.0
id like this to be a natural way. aslo what is a way to make water harder or softer bc they need 2- 12 in dh?

allaboutfish said:
1-angelfish
1-bolivian or blue ram
6-bleeding heart tetras
6- juli corys
id like this to be a natural way. aslo what is a way to make water harder or softer bc they need 2- 12 in dh?

I think that your fish will do fine with your pH, even if 8.0 sounds high. It will be better to keep a constant 8.0 versus changes and chemicals added to try to low the pH.

A stable ph is better than the perfect ph. Almost any fish can adapt to almost any ph. A lot of changes in ph will cause more harm than good, in the form of sick and dead fish.

I agree, I keep mine usually around 7.8 nothing you have on that list needs a drastically lower pH anyway.

allaboutfish said:
1-angelfish
1-bolivian or blue ram
6-bleeding heart tetras
6- juli corys

Unfortunately it's a lot easier to raise it, than lower it.

I've done a lot of testing trying to lower mine and given the tough buffers in my water all the pH down, 7.0 pH potions didn't do a thing. I was able to break them with a combo of Seachem's Acid Buffer to break the buffers down and their Neutral Regulator to balance it back up to 7.0. I got a little distracted with frys and new tank builds and I didn't complete my tests, so I can't be certain if it's going to be stable.

Some say you can lower pH using RO|DI water with your tap water, but again testing would be needed to make sure it was stable.

what about mapani wood thats supposed to reduce ph. but wuld it stay stable?
and totally off topic im having a huge thunderstorm with tornadoes in tennesse what should i do with my fish if the power goes out and if it goes off and on could this shock my fish?

allaboutfish said:
and totally off topic im having a huge thunderstorm with tornadoes in tennesse what should i do with my fish if the power goes out and if it goes off and on could this shock my fish?

Any DW could lower the pH, but most LFS supplied DW is cleaned, soaked, etc and most times has little if any tannins left IME. I did find one, put it in untouched and my water looks like iced tea because of it. My pH dropped all of .2-.3 which is not staying constant. Peat moss in your filter/tank is supposed too as well, but I haven't tried it yet.

Your fish won't get fried, but if you lose power, stir your tank with your hand or something to allow O2 exchange.

allaboutfish said:

In my experience, driftwood doesn't drop the ph that much, specially because your water probably will have a lot of buffers.

For your second question, first I hope that you and your family are good. If you lose power, but if you still have gas for the stove or hot water from the faucet, you can fill bottles with hot water and submerge them in the tank to act as heaters.

it passed. so does anybody think that my fish will spawn bc ive been changing water all day and now it just rained?

Dry oak leaves in the filter (or peat). You can purchase at some fish stores. Some one is selling them on ebay as well. Place them in a filter bag and replace every few weeks (once they start falling apart). Also some one has come up with a black water liquid. I forget the name of it. I am sure some one will post it. I just make my own= I purchased my driftwood I boiled it and saved about 20 oz of very black tannis water. When I do water changes I add a few teaspoons. I keep it in the fridge. When I run out I will buy some more driftwood and do the same thing. It works fine for me. The tanks have a slight tint to them, but the fish like it darker. My PH is about 6.3- out of the tap it is 7.5

But like others have stated it is better to have a stable PH than to mess with it alot.

Good luck :)

Julie

If they are in love they will spawn. If the eggs actually hatch that is another matter all together. Rams are known to be terrible parents now with all the inbreeding and artificial "help" they have lost a lot of natural insticts. The best way to get that back is to let nature take its course.

PS/ I did a water change this morning and a pair of mine spawned 4 hours later.

Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom