How to lower PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heard 7.0 is best for tropical fish. Mines at 7.5 almost 8 thats why i asked. Thanks man ive had this tank for 5 months now. Took 1 month to build and plan out

Those oh additives are more trouble than they're worth but than again it's your tank man.. Good luck..

My fish seem fine and the PH is steady so i probably wait before purchasing it. Do water changes affect PH levels?
not usually, you can do a little science project to figure it out! Take two cups, full them with Tap water, Test one immediately, treat the other with you conditioner and leave it out for 24hrs and than test. Ph.. Tap will "gas off" over the day to reveal your true ph.
Edit- apologize for grammar, it's 12:30 and I'm way tired!

Your pH is totally fine, there is no reason to add chemicals to mess with a steady and acceptable pH.

you may add peat to your filter. Peat gives out humic acid slowly to the tank and lower the ph.

You will find that as your filter matures.and your plants grow, calcium and other carbonates get used up, so your pH will drop naturally. In fact, you may need more frequent water changes to keep it up around 7!

It is important to share advice in this community; however, it's also important to try to answer the actual questions that our fellow fish keepers ask.

These forums are read by many aquarists who may have wanted to know how to lower pH and not necessarily if their pH is "good" or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is important to share advice in this community; however, it's also important to try to answer the actual questions that our fellow fish keepers ask.

These forums are read by many aquarists who may have wanted to know how to lower pH and not necessarily if their pH is "good" or not.

Ummm okay? The question was answered but we were stopping a fellow aquarist from making his system crash by altering a perfect ph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if we were encouraging him to alter pH, I would not encourage him to add any pH chemicals. The natural pH reducer is peat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom