How to Make Driftwood Sink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
SO I made a thread about to make driftwood safe. SO now that its clean I have ran into the trouble of them floating. I tired using fishing weights(non lead) and couldn't fine any non lead ones that would be heavy enough to sink the driftwood. Is it OK to use lead based weights? Or should I use something else; and if so what do you recommend?

What are plant weights?

And if it is inert then doesn't that mean I can use the lead fishing weights?

A plant weight is a band of lead wrapped around plant bunches. I get one with every anacharis bundle I buy for my goldies to eat/tear apart lol. I use them to weight down zucchini slices for my fish and they work great for that too.

Yep, most fishing weights are pure lead and OK to use.

Yeah the fishing weights would work if you didn't want to wait. what i've done in the past was let it dry then silicone it to a flat rock or tie it to a heavy (acquarium safe) object and then bury the bottom part of the driftwood and the stone/object connected to it.

Or slate with hole in, st.stl screw into underside of wood, slate on the bottom, covered with substrate = sunk driftwood.
2-3 weeks soak should do it, but if you can find the facility to pressurize it would be quicker. 3x atmospheres = one third time (about), but finding kit is one thing let alone the expense ! Makes the wait (or weight) worth it :)

Back
Top Bottom