How to move a dwarf gourami from QT to main tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone,

I have a dwarf gourami that has completed his 2 week QT process (isolation in a 10 gallon tank and anti-parasitic treatment), and I'm ready to move him into my main tank (directly above the QT tank).

My concern is the proper way to transport him since he has those long "feelers". All of my other fish have been moved with a large very fine mesh net without problems but I don't want to risk damaging the fish. I would prefer to use the net as it would be the easiest to catch and quickly go from 1 tank to the other (I have been taking water from the main tank and replacing the QT tank water so I know they are identical).

Can I safely use the net to catch him or do I need to use another method? I thought of using a large glass or other object that doesn't deform when raised out of the water but just know it won't be as easy as a quick netting (I net after lights are out when the fish are easily caught).

Thanks for your help.

If you are scared of ripping the feelers off, you could use a bag to catch him, or just use a fish cup. But I have had many groumies in the past, and a net is the easiest way to go.

Another option, if you are still worried about it get a clear 2 liter or 3 liter soda bottle, cut the top off rinse the inside with hot water thorougly, and use this to transport the fish. You can also put your hand over the top and drain the water out into a bucket next to the main tank to make sure you don't introduce QT tank water.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll do the net method. I have a large net with extremely fine webbing that should hopefully not cause any problems. And as mentioned I'll be catching him after lights out so hopefully (past experience) he will be much less likely to put up a fight.

The last 3 fish I've moved I've done this method and it is a night and day difference trying to catch them.

I'm going to go home and replace another 50% of the QT water with main tank water (how I've been acclimating him over the last week so I can do a direct net and drop).

Tonight is hopefully the night.

OT: He's now been much more friendly towards me the last 2-3 days. I've been feeding a wide range of food but he seems to love the freeze-dried krill. FD bloodworms are also a hit, as is the staple flake, but the floating FD foods really bring out his activity.

He is going to have to get used to the lessened lighting period. In my main tank I only have the lights on from 1pm until 10pm (due to the plants), but in the QT tank the lights are on from 6am (when I leave for work) until 10pm. Hopefully he'll like the extra sleep time.

Back
Top Bottom