how to move tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys up until now my 26gallon (30 us gall) tank has been on a temporary stand that I got with it, well I've now finally ordered my new permanent one and it will be here in a few days. So what I'm wondering is the best way to go about moving my tank from one stand to the other without taking all the water out? It only has to be moved around 2ft.

You should drain a fourth of the water out and get two or three strong friends to help you.

Yeah me and my mate are body builders so the weight isn't an issue its just the pressure on the tank with moving it full of water, will it not crack?

No even when not moving the glass is still under pressure so moving it wont add any pressure. Be careful that is around 400 pounds.

Cool I didn't know that, thanks and yeah the weights not an issue, like I said only moving its a few feet.

Drain as much water as possible. Weight may not be the problem. Aquariums are unwieldy and uncomfortable to carry. Your tank will weigh somewhere between 240lb and 300llb when full, which isn't a lot of weight, but that weight sloshes around, has sharp corners, little grip, and doesn't like twisting or bending.

If you want the tank in its current location, lift the tank, remove the old stand, and place the new stand under it. The stand is easier to move than the tank.

Yeah that's what I want to do but its going from a stand to a side board so don't think we'll manage it. I can easily move it round the room so I'm thinking of putting the sideboard against the wall with the stand in front and lifting it back?

Back
Top Bottom