How to move with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikachu0315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys! My mom said we might be moving closer to my moms office and was wondering how to take your fish with you? Selling them is not a option they were my first fish so any tips?

I did a 300 mile move with a loaded 60 gallon fresh, and 200 gallon salt tank. Depending on the distance depends on the lengths you have to go to move them safely. Most likely a 5 gallon bucket, your aerator from the tank, keep at least 70% of your tank water and put it in 5 gallon water jugs, and a power inverter to power your aerator in your car. If its a big move like mine, you can even jimmy it to hold your filter as well and use the power inverter to charge that as well. If you keep you tank at a higher temp like me, digital thermometer and monitor for rapid water temp changes. If you have time, drop your tank temp to mid to low 70's and you can do without the heater on the move. 1 degree a week if you have the time

Hey guys! My mom said we might be moving closer to my moms office and was wondering how to take your fish with you? Selling them is not a option they were my first fish so any tips?

How far is the move? If its just a few miles, your looking good. If its a few hours, a lot more work is gonna be needed. Heater, flow, and also O2 are all gonna play a factor.

How far do you have to drive? How many fish are you moving?

It is not important to save tank water. As long as your filter media stays wet, with dechlorinated water, when you reset the tank you don't have to worry about your tank re-cycling.

If you have just a few fish in 10 or 20 gallon and you are driving less than 3 hours, you can just empty the tank to about 15% full and throw it in the car as is. Be careful! Get everything off the outside of it and just wrap it in a towel or just wake sure nothing hit ps it. Then keep the filter media wet during transportation. If you have a car adapter and an aerator then hook it up, but if you don't, don't go and buy it just for the trip. Most fish will be fine for a couple hours without filtration/heat/oxygen. I have driven over 3 hours with a fish in 2 cups of water from a LFS.

Lol oh ****. Nothing really special to take into consideration. Any container that can hold your fish. I would dedicate a section of the move, usually the last load, to breaking down, moving, and setting up the tank all in one motion to minimize stress on your fish. But you'll be fine. It will be an easy move. I had to move $1200 worth of fish 300 miles. You don't need any of my extreme recommendations from my first post

I'm moving just over 2,000 miles with my 55g in the next couple months so your move should be a lot easier haha

Good thing its not a long drive. best thing i can think of is tank by tank. Put them in a bucket, save as much of the water you can place were you want the tanks then fill it back up if you were able to save most the water then put then back in. For the 75 gal can see that being a problem. Assuming the water is not different for the new place. Do water changes every other day two weeks before the move try to have the water in the tank match the water out of the tap. So when you move and fill back up it will be the same. If the tap is the same as the tank then dont worry, just make sure the temp are almost the same. Hope this makes sense and helps

Back
Top Bottom