How to propare drift wood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrueEnvy

Aquarium Advice Freak
At the river and found some nice pieces and was wondering how do I make it safe for my fish tank? I might post some pics of it l8r lol

Driftwood that I found laying around has been the best addition to my tank to date :) Id like to see some pics.

As for prepping it, I would boil it for 10 minutes or so and then let it soak in water for a week. It will probably still float but this will help out.

If it's too big for a pot then put it in a bucket, anchor it down with something, and pour boiling water over it. Bring more water to boiling and keep pouring it over the wood until it is covered and then just let it sit in the hot water until it cools down. The water should be more than hot enough to kill anything on it.

Ok! I well hope they don't float away! Lol ther under a rock and in the river lol

I have always used my power washer. This gets pretty much anything off since the majority of pieces are way to big for any type of boiling. Here is the piece I just got a few days ago. It is now in a blow up pool with some resin weights on it.

Attachments

• P7261598.jpg
    P7261598.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 74
Man I would boil for more than 10 min. I boil mine for at least 2 hrs. Usually do 4-6 to be safe. Clean it first real good before u boil it.

10 minutes is plenty to get rid of any parasites. The only real reason to boil longer is to get rid of tannins and that shouldn't be a problem in a well weathered piece of wood.

Run it through the dishwasher without soap. Works just as well as boiling and takes less time. Then you can soak it to help release more tannins.

The longer it soaks the less bouyant it will be. You could put them straight into the tank but it will usually be difficult to work with unless you attach it to a rock or wedge it under stuff like I did in my tank.

There that are =]

Attachments

• image-1356450384.jpg
    image-1356450384.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 70
Thx =] well right now there under a rock in a river so once I get home I well boil it and throw it in =]

Back
Top Bottom