How to quieten filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just set up my Fluval 306 canister filter and it's fairly loud. Not a mechanical issue or anything just the humming noise it's supposed to make. I can't even hear it when I'm out of the room but the issue is it's in my bedroom and I find it hard to sleep with noise.

Obviously I can't make the actual filter quieter but could I somehow lessen the noise? It's in a stand with two doors at the front and an open back. Could I soundproof somehow?

Last edited:
Weird. They are so quiet. What is it sitting on? Is it level?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Yeah it's level it's just resting on the base of my tank stand.

I mean, I don't know what is considered quiet as I've never owner a canister filter before. Best way I can describe it is like a loud air conditioning unit. I wouldn't notice it over the TV if it were in the living room - but because it's near my bed it's noticeable.

You know maybe sit a sponge under it to reduce vibration or maybe those felt glides they sell for furniture. Just a thought

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow. I honestly cannot hear my fluval 306, or my fluval 406 even running and they are in the same room.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Were they always like that or did they take a day or two to quiten down? I literally just set mine up hours ago.

What are yours resting on?

Mine were always quiet. They are sitting on the bottom piece of wood inside my tank cabinet.

The 206 I briefly owned made an audible hum. You could not hear anything when the cabinet doors were closed after making a few changes. But they were not silent. It is as if the impeller alignment was off. Maybe I got a lemon. I went through two of them over a four week span.
The canisters rested on a 2" foam mat and I lined the doors and cabinet walls with foam to absorb the noise. I made sure the hoses were not touching the cabinet walls. Noise can escape from the back of the cabinet as well (mine was closed with access holes).
The cabinet and doors also had panels that had some play in them. Vibration made them rattle. Securing them with tape and shims removed the rattle in the cabinet.

What he said about the impeller. Maybe take it out and clean it and put it back in. And call Fluval. Mine from the same product line is basically silent. Like a computer running, or less. Far less than the quiet Fluval HOB I had.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom