How to read this testing kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
My boyfriends parents bought me a Red Sea Fresh Lab Deluxe testing kit for Christmas and this is the first time I have tested the ammonia levels using this kit (I have another kit Ive been using instead for the ammonia).

It says "Read off the ppm value of the color that is closest to the sample in the test tube. This is a measure of the total dissolved Ammonia level. Using the table, calculate the level of toxic Ammonia"

Okay, the table is based on pH and temperature.. so my reading for a pH of 8 and a temp of 79 degrees is 5.8 (percentage of toxic ammonia)
What does this mean?
My NH3/NH4 is reading 0 but what does that have to do in relation to the 5.8 reading?

Your total ammonia is a mixture of actual ammonia (NH3) and ammonium ions (NH4+). The two will switch back and forth, gaining and losing a H+. At higher temperatures and pHs more of the total is ammonia than ammonium. (Ammonium isn't supposed to be toxic, or at least is less toxic). So, in theory, it's a way to be more precise about how dangerous you levels are if you had ammonia in the tank. (That's making a lot of assumptions about the accuracy and precision of the test but that's another issue).

Regardless, in your case, 5.8% of 0 is still 0--so you're ok. :)

Back
Top Bottom