How to set up an air stone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi there,
I have a 20g Community and a 5g Betta tank.

I was thinking of getting an air stone for both, each for a different purpose.
In the 20g, it would only be for decoration.

In the 5g, it's because there is literally no surface agitation. Yes, I have a filter, but it came with the tank and provides an extremely lame outflow. At first, I thought that would be good for Bettas who usually prefer calmer waters, but it's just annoying now because there is some grimy stuff building on the surface now, unless I swish it a couple time with my finger ever now and then.

I was thinking of getting a new filter for the 5g, but I don't think I would be able to find anything. Unfortunately, it's not just a standard HOB. It has to fit in a very specific platform thing built into the tank, made for the filter that came with it. It seems to be working fine in the sense of cleanliness, but again, does not provide sufficient surface agitation. So... would an air stone even help with that?

Finally, the stand for the 20g is only large enough to fit the tank on, so I'd need to put the pump on the floor behind it. Same goes for the 5g. Is that okay? Any guidance with this would be great.. what the total price I'd be looking at for both? I just need a ballpark, ie. $100 or like $15, because yeah, I'm honestly that clueless.

I have always wanted one of these for aesthetic appeal, but never thought it would be possible because I'm so technologically challenged. :lol:
However, I'm hoping with some good advice and guidance from the nice AA members I will be able to change that. :)

You could get pumps and stones for both for a total of about 50 bucks. All you do is plug it in and put the stone where you want it and connect airline tubing to each end. The pump will be better in the wall. Mine is hanging on a nail highrr than the tank so i dont need a check valve. Good luck.

go to walmart if you have one, you can get a powerful pump for 10 bucks, 2 airstones for about 2 bucks, and airline for about 4 bucks (8 feet). adding an airpump is a cheap additions IMO

How tall is your stand with tank? You will need that amount of tubing plus the amount for your tank. So lets say about 7-8 feet thats about 10 -15 bucks. You will also need to get some check valves. Those save your air pump if the power goes out and the water gets suctioned up. Not good. Those are like a buck a piece. Maybe so t valves so you can have bubbles on both ends of your tank instead of one that's probably a buck. The the stones about 2-3 depending on size. The most expensive part is the air pump which will be around 20 for the 20g and 10 for the 5g. Grand total around 50 bucks.

i forgot to add that the airpump comes with two check valves*

(the airpump has two outputs)

Thanks for the help everyone,
Just to clarify, both air stone systems would need to be completely separate as the tanks are in different rooms. As mentioned previously, I was only thinking about getting an air stone for the 20g because of aesthetic appeal, but because I now understand how they work a bit more clearly, I'm thinking that it might not be worth it if I am going to have this tube running up the wall of my tank... That's ugly... lol.

As for the 5g, do you agree that it would be beneficial to get some surface interruption?

Thanks guys!

mandy2936 said:
Thanks for the help everyone,
Just to clarify, both air stone systems would need to be completely separate as the tanks are in different rooms. As mentioned previously, I was only thinking about getting an air stone for the 20g because of aesthetic appeal, but because I now understand how they work a bit more clearly, I'm thinking that it might not be worth it if I am going to have this tube running up the wall of my tank... That's ugly... lol.

As for the 5g, do you agree that it would be beneficial to get some surface interruption?

Thanks guys!

Aesthetics aside, surface agitation is important to allow co2 to be released from the water column. Bettas as I understand it actually breathe from the surface, but don't quote me :p.

Bettas are anabantids or labyrinth fish. They have an additional organ in their bodies that allow them to take in oxygen directly from the air. That is why they can be kept in bowls (although I don't condone this) or oxygen deprived waters. That doesn't mean that you should have them living that way though (I know you're not).

The agitation at the surface of the water is how oxygen gets mixed into the water column. In the wild the wind, rain, or cascading waters do the same thing. That is also one reason why you don't want to allow any film or scum to accumulate on the water's surface. It will block this transfer of oxygen. That grimy stuff you are seeing on the surface is most likely the byproducts of waste decomposition.

Your aerating the water is the best way to solve these problems. If you have a problem with the air pumps being noisy (because they vibrate), place a pad of rubbery or soft material under it. That will reduce the noise.

Wow thanks for the great info! I will sure hand out some rep points later. :) (On my iPod right now)
So, oxygenating the water would be a good thing. Do I have any other options if the air stone doesn't work out? Or is that really the only way?

My 20g has great aeration. It's perfectly fine, so yeah again, only aesthetics there. But the 5g is clearly in need of some help oxygen wise.
Thanks for the continuous help! (y)

Aeration is the most effective method you can use, and I feel probably the easiest in your case. A filter returning water into the tank is another way to do it, but it won't be quite as effective as aeration is. Not unless it was designed to aerate the water and that's unlikely.

AFAIK only a DIY filter is likely to be designed to do this, not any you'd find at the LFS.

Thank you, I am going to the store this weekend. Is there any particular size pump you recommend?

Btw... What is AFAIK?

Thank you, I am going to the store this weekend. Is there any particular size pump you recommend?

Btw... What is AFAIK?

I always used to use Rena or Hagen pumps. A pump that pumps 1500-2500cc should be big enough. I also like Danner pumps, but those are REALLY pricey.

Most will do the job but lose effectiveness over time as the diaphragm in the pump wears out. Diaphragm replacement kits exist to easily fix this.

I've read reviews on the following it it looks pretty good, and is inexpensive. Million Air MA-200 Pump

AFAIK=As Far As I Know

Getting a check valve and a splitter would be fine while running one pump. I have a 29g running a Fusion 200 with a 2" stone and it is plenty. I would run a small pump, split the line and use 1" stones in each.

My comments below in blue.
I always used to use Rena or Hagen pumps. A pump that pumps 1500-2500cc should be big enough. I also like Danner pumps, but those are REALLY pricey.
1500-2500cc for which pump? The 20g or 5g? Also, I have heard of a lot of people using the Tetra Whisper ones. Is that a good brand?Are they really that quiet?

Most will do the job but lose effectiveness over time as the diaphragm in the pump wears out. Diaphragm replacement kits exist to easily fix this.

I've read reviews on the following it it looks pretty good, and is inexpensive. Million Air MA-200 Pump

AFAIK=As Far As I Know
Ah, thanks.

Getting a check valve and a splitter would be fine while running one pump. I have a 29g running a Fusion 200 with a 2" stone and it is plenty. I would run a small pump, split the line and use 1" stones in each.
The pumps have to be separate. As mentioned earlier, the tanks are in two different rooms.

Thanks!

Well, if the beta is the only fish in the 5 gallon, surface agitation isn't necessary since they breath air at the surface.

I use an air pump, but not an air stone. I just put the tube of air below the surface of the water a little. It moves the surface and puts fresh air in the aquarium. It seems to oxygenate the water just fine.

Hmm...Here's what I did before I managed to get my air stone.

I took a line of air tubing and put a few holes in it about a few centimeters apart. Put a piece of gravel in the end (I'm sure you could use something else, just what I used) and had it sit beneath the gravel substrate of the tank. It worked, I just like the look of the air stone. If you use Google, there are people that have DIY'd bubble curtains and such using the same method, but for a betta, they may not like that much agitation, I don't know...I'm still trying to figure my goldfish out.

1500-2500cc for which pump? The 20g or 5g? Also, I have heard of a lot of people using the Tetra Whisper ones. Is that a good brand? Are they really that quiet?

OK, where to start first.

1500-2500cc is the amount of air that the pumps are able to move at one time. It will work with the 20g or the 5g, but lower is better on the 5-gal. More is almost always better then not enough. If you need to cut back some of the air pressure use an in-line valve. Restricting the output of a pump isn't going to hurt it.

Tetra makes a decent pump, I've used them before. If they haven't changed then they are as quiet then most others at their price-point.

For a bettas, they really don't like any agitation that much. They are still water fish and have evolved to live in that kind of an environment. They can adapt to something different, but that is not what they come from.

Oh, I see. So.. do you recommend creating surface agitation or not? Because the surface is so still that a very thin layer of "crust" builds up there, and I wasn't sure if that was OK or not. I was thinking that I could get a very very small one, just enough to keep things moving, but I don't want to bother my Betta or create an area that he will want to steer clear from.

Opinions?

P.S. Thanks Shadowraven for your patience with me! (y)

Oh, I see. So.. do you recommend creating surface agitation or not? Because the surface is so still that a very thin layer of "crust" builds up there, and I wasn't sure if that was OK or not. I was thinking that I could get a very very small one, just enough to keep things moving, but I don't want to bother my Betta or create an area that he will want to steer clear from.

Opinions?

P.S. Thanks Shadowraven for your patience with me! (y)

As long as it is not intense, i.e. roiling the water in the whole tank, you should be OK. If it is too much when you aerate it, then get a check valve to reduce the output.

The crust on the surface is not good because it interferes with the water's ability to unload CO2 and take up O2. The aeration can help this. So can a surface skimmer.

BTW you're fine, if you need to know anything ask away. That's what we are here for. We want to help you be successful with your fishy friends.

Back
Top Bottom