How to sex Angels? Anyone know?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheesy318

Aquarium Advice Activist
We have three Angels, Leonard, Penny, and Raj. Leonard is the black one, Penny is the yellow one, and Raj is the silver one. We have been trying figure out what sex they are. We THINK Leonard and Penny are female and Raj is a male. Your input is much appreciated. Here are pics
Raj

image-3124731364.jpg

Penny

image-6972953.jpg

Leonard
image-3895137348.jpg

Thanks

image-2511138971.jpg

image-3953690763.jpg

image-2791375714.jpg

Honestly many people take educated guesses by going by forehead bumps and such but the only 100% sure way of sexing angels is to wait until they breed and see what their breeding vents look like. On males the tube looks like a sharpened pencil tip and on females the vent, which is very easy to see, looks like a blunt pencil eraser.

Bothe Leonard and Penny have forehead bumps Raj does not.. Raj's fins are a lot longer but his body size seems the same if jot smaller than Penny and Leonards

If there is visable forehead bumps many would guess they were males. I've had so many angelfish over the past 30+ years I've seen exceptions to many of the educated guesses. I have a female right now out of my 12 angels that has a forehead bump but I know she's a female as I've seen her breeding tube while laying eggs. It's just an educated guess and is by no means 100% accurate.

Like I said the forehead bump which is not present in all angels and the 100% guaranteed way is the looking at the breeding vent (papilla) when a pair is spawning.

Back
Top Bottom