How to sex brichardi - pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endgame319

Aquarium Advice FINatic
yeah that was me 8P. veri nice female. i dont think i saw any pinks at the store.

im kind of risking it because theres only a 24 hour gaurentee and they might die.

could i keep a SAE in with them??

is the male smaller or is it the angle.

if u added another brichardi after they breed will it be like an outcast or will it help take care of the babies?

The female isn't really that pink, its just the way the picture turned out. Make sure you have perfect water quality and that they aren't sick when you buy them, and there's little change of death. SAE - No. The male is larger, its just the photo. And the other brichardi will likely help take care of the babies, but theres always a chance they'll outcast him. What size of take are you keeping them in again?

29 gallons. aww oh well guess no SAE. but thats good in a way. then i dont have to search around for them. im planning to get some fine araganite sand and wait for it to get around 8.0 and then cycle my tank. then im gonna go get the fish.

im planning on putting a rubberlipped pleco or another kind of placo i forgot the name of. pretty much any pleco under 10$. i dont think im gonna do a bristlenose anymore.

will an oto work? because to me their a lil more interesting.

and im using ur brichardi for my avatar. if you dont want me to just ask

Otos like to be in groups and I don't think they will work.
I was cleaning my brichardi tank yesterday and saw the male attacking my juvie Synodontis petricola--this type of Synodontis is found in Lake Tang, but the brichardi view it as a threat to their offspring. If you are set on adding another fish in with the brichardi, go with a pleco, becuase they can defend themselves and make sure you have lots of hiding places for the brichardi and the pleco.

yeah im going to put a piece of driftwood on one side for the pleco and have swimming space in the center and put come rock caves on the other side

yeah but my dad ruins it every time. as in my other post he took it and hid it and said hes "break it" later on when everything is settled down. he wants to save 2$ on gas so hes really stingy. so he wont break my tank. hes probally going to return it after work or church

Great pics! I have noticed this difference in coloration and finnage myself, but you have to pay attention and watch them, because the casual observer does not notice the difference between them.

They are really one of my alltime favorites - thanks for posting those wonderful pics - I have been unable to get decent fishy closeups.

I have mine in a species-only tank, and would not put a delicate oto in with them, as they are not the most aggressive of the cichlids but are not to be trifled with, either. I have lower light in that tank and can skip an algae eater for it.

Back
Top Bottom