How to ship a fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone ever done it?

What are the steps that ensure success?

Steps??? Well I am nto expert and I have not shipped a fish ever. But I think common sense is the best way to go about it.

You defintly need to double or tripple bage the fish. You need haf the bag filled with watr and the other half with air. Get as much air in as you can. Then you need to seal the first bag real good with rubber bands. Slide it into the next bag upside down. Seal that bag and then use a 3rd bag ove the top of those 2 bags and seal it.

I would then say you need a carbord box that the bags will fit into along with some type of packign material. Somehting soft liek the styrofoam peanuts would work. Jsut make sure the bage is cushioned on every side and not touching the cardbord box.

Then you need to sent the shipment overnight for the best chance at survival of the fish.

Againg you have to use common sense here. If you are shipping a tropical fish it is best to make sure that the weather you are shipping from, to and thru is warm enought so that the fish will not die from the cold. If you can help cold weather then you will need to add a heat pack to the box to keep the water warm. If the weatehr is too hot then you have the problem of the box overheatign and boilign the fish so yous good common sense.

Goldfish might be eaiser to ship in terms of temperature cause they can deal with some cooler temperatures and survive. However they definitly need to go overnight cause they will foul their water quickley.

Hope that helps

Another thing I think is to not feed the fish 1 or 2 days before shipping. That way they don't foul the water as fast. And definitely overnight the package.

Kordon breather bags are good for shipping fish, no air space, so no splashing around inside the bag. They are also useful if you aren't bagging the fish with pure O2, since the entire box is usable air for the fish. (They let O2 in through the bag walls, and CO2 out)

Back
Top Bottom