how to stop fish from jumping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minky123

Aquarium Advice Regular
So last night about three in the morning I hear a loud crash from my tank. I instantly shot up and went to see what it was, and my peacock eel jumped put of my tank taking my filter cover with it. To make things worse my girlfriends cat thought it was a toy and was trying to catch it. I rescued him and he is back in the tank and he seems fine. What should I do to cover up the gaps on my hood?? Please help I don't want this happening again

Although some fish are jumpers, you might want to check your water parameters. Fish will sometimes jump to escape less than favorable water conditions.

I only have one tank with escape artists (shrimp). I have taken an extra backing for the tank and cut appropriate size pieces that lay across the openings. No problems.

Easy! Tanks zip lock baggies, cut off the ziplock. Then cut the double sided plastic bag to whatever shape/size you need. Only problem is, whenever you take off the lid, youll have to re-do the covering. It is good to replace every so ofyer anyways, to keep the plastic strong and the tape sticky.

This the exact way i keep MY peacock eel in the tank:) hope i helped, here are some pics:)

LyndaB said:
Although some fish are jumpers, you might want to check your water parameters. Fish will sometimes jump to escape less than favorable water conditions.

Agreed, but i feel peacock eels (i have one) and hatchets (i also have) just love suicide lol. I wouldnt trust them with the opening the size of a penny.

I like the plastic bag idea. I also like to use duct tape to to tape around the filter to make sure my blue lobster does not get out. This seems to work ok and I have not had any escapes yet.

maxlab76 said:
I like the plastic bag idea. I also like to use duct tape to to tape around the filter to make sure my blue lobster does not get out. This seems to work ok and I have not had any escapes yet.

Ah duct tape..the universal tool:D

zip lock bags seem to be the best choice.. the freezer ones are a little more thick...

I with I would done this before 2 of my Pearl gouramis had jumped. they were a suicide couple. leaving me with 1 lonely female .. sad day :/

rreekers said:
zip lock bags seem to be the best choice.. the freezer ones are a little more thick...

I with I would done this before 2 of my Pearl gouramis had jumped. they were a suicide couple. leaving me with 1 lonely female .. sad day :/

Im sorry! Yes...i wish i had found a mesh cover for my old powerhead intake before my first peacock eel decided to stick his nose in...sad indeed.

Gboy66 said:
Im sorry! Yes...i wish i had found a mesh cover for my old powerhead intake before my first peacock eel decided to stick his nose in...sad indeed.

oh goodness!

as sad and unfortunate as it may be.. it is all just a learning experience

rreekers said:
oh goodness!

as sad and unfortunate as it may be.. it is all just a learning experience

Definitly...an now i am sure that none of my fish will jump again.

Thanks for all the input, I'm going to do to the plastic bag idea. For now I shoved a pair of my swim trunks in the hole for tonight.

minky123 said:
Thanks for all the input, I'm going to do to the plastic bag idea. For now I shoved a pair of my swim trunks in the hole for tonight.

Lol! Nice.

Yea, it works well. Make sure the plastic is at least doubles, i tend to think of my peacock as a super eel with crazy strength lol

He jumps to stretch they also crave depth being at the bottom of a ten gallon tank ain't the same as being at the bottom of a 125 gallon. Think pressure and undergravel caves as well as above gravel

EMD1 said:
He jumps to stretch they also crave depth being at the bottom of a ten gallon tank ain't the same as being at the bottom of a 125 gallon. Think pressure and undergravel caves as well as above gravel

Is this eel in a 10g? :(

This what I did to most of my tanks. So far it has worked out nicly :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120118_085415.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120118_085415.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom