How to swap tanks while doing as little damage as possible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bazook

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm about to set up and cycle a 29g for a school of tiger barbs I overstocked (didn't consider space taken by filters, substrate, plants and driftwood). I'm trying to imagine how to move the established 20g tank and set up a 29g in it's place and moving 10 tiger barbs, all without the bottoms bursting out or killing the beneficial bacteria/fish in the process.

The tank is strategically placed on top of my bar, with plenty of support on the frame of the tank, but none on the bottom glass pane. Is this dangerous? Looking into buying a multitude of stands for my tanks (4 and growing), but I'm enjoying where they are currently set up ?.0323171352_HDR.jpg

A pic of my buddies

Attachments

• 0421171231_HDR.jpg
    0421171231_HDR.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 81
That does seem like alot of weight up there. It's all how it was framed. I doubt theres a lot of 2x4 in there but I may be wrong.

I think the bar is pretty solidly built, could be mistaken however.

Thanks, should I be concerned about a loss of bacteria if I drain most of the water in order to drop the weight? I don't trust the pressure from the inside on the bottom of the tank...

Next to no bb in water column. Majority is in filter, substrate, and hardscape

Very clean looking tanks. If you are just moving the tanks, take the waterline all the down the right above the substrate and move the tank. I have done this no problem. When cycling the new tank, put two cups of gravel from the old tank in the new tank to jumpstart the cycling process. But be careful. I did that, and did a write up of it in my signature below. It is critical to get substrate from different levels.

Very clean looking tanks. If you are just moving the tanks, take the waterline all the down the right above the substrate and move the tank. I have done this no problem. When cycling the new tank, put two cups of gravel from the old tank in the new tank to jumpstart the cycling process. But be careful. I did that, and did a write up of it in my signature below. It is critical to get substrate from different levels.
Thanks for the advice, I hate to muck up the substrate but will do anything to avoid waiting for my new tank to cycle.

I would really look at how I did it then. I had to do a complete gravel swap with a new filter and everything. Took my main tank a week to cycle, compared to 6 weeks. My tank is a 25 gallon, so similar to yours. Just click on my signature below and I walked everyone through step by step on what to do. Especially the cycle part. And learn from my mistake I talked about in it. Not worth going through what I am going through with my GBR.

You can put 1/4 of your gravel in a nylon Stocking so that you don't have to worry about mixing it with the new substrate and just set it in the corner, make sure you keep your filters wet (media) with water from that tank, if you're using the same substrate just take it from the old tank and put it in the new, after you get the new tank set up add live bacteria as well, double the first dose and follow up the following week after a pwc with the recommended.

You can put 1/4 of your gravel in a nylon Stocking so that you don't have to worry about mixing it with the new substrate and just set it in the corner, make sure you keep your filters wet (media) with water from that tank, if you're using the same substrate just take it from the old tank and put it in the new, after you get the new tank set up add live bacteria as well, double the first dose and follow up the following week after a pwc with the recommended.
Luckily I have a lot of used media at this point. I'm worried about stirring up the substrate and plants in the 20g with the barbs in it bc I will have to keep them in there until the larger tank cycles. Just started setting up the new tank...

Attachments

• 0425170016_HDR.jpg
    0425170016_HDR.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom