How to take care of shrimps??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkfalcon

Aquarium Advice Freak
- I don't know where to post this so I post it here -

Each time I buy shrimps (usually 4-5) only 1 shrimp survives in the end. But sometimes there are some baby shrimps inside the plants that I bought and they can survive until they get big, how can this happen?? (The store keeper put shrimps and plants inside the same tank)

So I need guid on how to take care of them.

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't do anything special for my shrimp (I have cherries, ghosts and one Amano). But I know of some people who have trouble keeping them alive. Mine do fine with the same food the fish eat--various NLS dry and pellet foods, NLS flake, and a variety of frozen foods, plus Shrimp Cuisine about every other night. (These are granules). The cherries reproduce for me after about 6 months after I put them in the tank.

What are your tank parameters? Is the tank cycled? Do the shrimp have sufficient plants, rocks, caves, etc. to hide? I find my shrimp will eat just about anything the fish eat, and I do a 40% water change once a week. That's it. Shrimp are generally very tough. What is your PH?

The only thing that I don't get, is how come baby shrimps can survive in sudden water condition change while the adults can't?? Well good thing I ask here and found a good article to read.

Btw, do I need to feed the shrimps with something?? Or just leave them be?? I have a little red cherry shrimp (not adult yet) inside an empty tank, and its color is fading. Now it is almost transparent. Is it due to no food is around??

How long has the tank been set up? The shrimp eat biofilm that grows on everything in the tank. If you suspect there isn't enough biofilm, there's plenty options. Hikari makes shrimp food, Fluval does as well, Tetra can go smack themselves, my shrimp seem to like Ebi and Shirakura foods, S&C sticks have good calcium content, Ken's sinking wafers seem to be well received around here as well but they're kind of big and should be reserved for larger populations of shrimp. You could always break up the wafers.

The only thing that I don't get, is how come baby shrimps can survive in sudden water condition change while the adults can't?? Well good thing I ask here and found a good article to read.

Btw, do I need to feed the shrimps with something?? Or just leave them be?? I have a little red cherry shrimp (not adult yet) inside an empty tank, and its color is fading. Now it is almost transparent. Is it due to no food is around??

I have found that baby or juvenile shrimps can be moved around without losses but adults, once acclimatised, seem to hate any water changes.
I keep cherry shrimp in my community tank and in my quarantine tank and they really do prefer an aged tank or if a new tank have plenty of plant and 'objects' from an established tank. Shrimp eat constantly and just feeding them doesn't seem enough, they need a plentiful supply of bio-film and that takes months to establish.
Moss seems to be a good plant to have as it provides a lot of grazing and plenty of cover for the babies, especially if you keep fish with them as I do.
I had many losses whilst they were shedding their shells and this was due to a low Gh. I now keep it at at least 6 deg Gh and I have no losses at all.
Shrimp, like fish, don't like Ph swings so I also keep my Kh at about 6 deg, this is enough to stabilise my Ph.
Once you get it right and they get breeding you'll have loads and wonder why you worried.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

How long has the tank been set up? The shrimp eat biofilm that grows on everything in the tank. If you suspect there isn't enough biofilm, there's plenty options. Hikari makes shrimp food, Fluval does as well, Tetra can go smack themselves, my shrimp seem to like Ebi and Shirakura foods, S&C sticks have good calcium content, Ken's sinking wafers seem to be well received around here as well but they're kind of big and should be reserved for larger populations of shrimp. You could always break up the wafers.

The only name that I recognize is Hikari. The tank for the frys is not new and it is empty. So I'll need to find shrimp food for now.

I have found that baby or juvenile shrimps can be moved around without losses but adults, once acclimatised, seem to hate any water changes.
I keep cherry shrimp in my community tank and in my quarantine tank and they really do prefer an aged tank or if a new tank have plenty of plant and 'objects' from an established tank. Shrimp eat constantly and just feeding them doesn't seem enough, they need a plentiful supply of bio-film and that takes months to establish.
Moss seems to be a good plant to have as it provides a lot of grazing and plenty of cover for the babies, especially if you keep fish with them as I do.
I had many losses whilst they were shedding their shells and this was due to a low Gh. I now keep it at at least 6 deg Gh and I have no losses at all.
Shrimp, like fish, don't like Ph swings so I also keep my Kh at about 6 deg, this is enough to stabilise my Ph.
Once you get it right and they get breeding you'll have loads and wonder why you worried.

I see, do u know any tutorials or video about how to plant moss?? I kinda hesitated on buying it yesterday since I don't know how to plant them on stones or above the gravel/sand, etc.

I see, do u know any tutorials or video about how to plant moss?? I kinda hesitated on buying it yesterday since I don't know how to plant them on stones or above the gravel/sand, etc.

Tie it to driftwood or stones using dark cotton thread or very fine fishing line. Or you could use a small amount of super glue.
If placing it on the gravel, you could tie it to a small square of stainless steel mesh.
In either setup, it should eventually grow in an hide the thread.
Or just place it in the tank.
For more ideas, try Google.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tie it to driftwood or stones using dark cotton thread or very fine fishing line. Or you could use a small amount of super glue.
If placing it on the gravel, you could tie it to a small square of stainless steel mesh.
In either setup, it should eventually grow in an hide the thread.
Or just place it in the tank.
For more ideas, try Google.

I see. After I tie it up, then it grows. But after it grows, should I leave the thread?? Or cut it then pick it up??

I see. After I tie it up, then it grows. But after it grows, should I leave the thread?? Or cut it then pick it up??

Either one. I leave it. The moss will grow over it. Use darker colors (stand out less).

I use clear fishing line as it doesn't show up under water and doesn't rot away. Use a liquid fertiliser and the moss will grow well, I pull out hands full of it.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454799241.822025.jpg
This is my 4 foot tank with the moss at each end. I tie it to the top of some bog wood, it will grow in low light but seems to go mad directly under the lights. The moss is full of shrimp.

I use clear fishing line as it doesn't show up under water and doesn't rot away. Use a liquid fertiliser and the moss will grow well, I pull out hands full of it.
View attachment 284567
This is my 4 foot tank with the moss at each end. I tie it to the top of some bog wood, it will grow in low light but seems to go mad directly under the lights. The moss is full of shrimp.

Wow that tank is so awesome! A clear fishing line?? Ok I'll search for clear fishing line or the one that Fresh2o suggested. But of course I'll buy the ones easier to find xD

Fishing line can be had at Walmart, Kmart, basspro, academy, places like that, thread can be found at Walmart,Kmart, hobby lobby, or any fabric store.

Fishing line can be had at Walmart, Kmart, basspro, academy, places like that, thread can be found at Walmart,Kmart, hobby lobby, or any fabric store.

Yea, both are easy to find, I mean closer to my place :v

I'm actually not really sure about online shops, etc, so I never done those. If I had, I would've ordered brine shrimps a while ago xD

Back
Top Bottom