How to tell the sex of a Bolivian ram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Females have a pinkish under belly and less pronounced dorsal fin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I thought the same went for both, gbrs being more noticeable of course. I've read bolivian females have a blockier head with a more bulky chin?? I really don't know bolivian all that well, just regurgitating in hopes of helping. It's how I play darts too.. I throw all 3 at once and get way excited when one hits the board; )

Without venting...
There are a couple things to look at mind you both sexes may display them but more times than not if looked at all together can help...

1 dorsal fin
Male the 3 and 4 spines will be longer than the rest.

Female the entire dorsal fin should be relatively uniformly rounded.

2 tail fin
Males usually have longer extensions than females.

3 anal fin
Male
Anal fin in more pointed and extends past where the tail fin starts.

Female
Anal fin is rounded and clearly stops before tail fin begins.

Thanks you all for replying but I'm still confused lol so I've took some pics to see if any of you can tell me if my one is a male or female I hope the pics are okay :)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400758771.300035.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400758782.465139.jpg

I hope someone can tell lol x

If I had to guess, female

From the Bolivians that I have (I have 4 in my 75), I think I can only go by the vents. One of my pair have just about all the same characteristics listed above or at least are indistinguishable. And then the other 2 in my tank look the same except for the vents as well. If I go by the vents, the 2 that have the same looking vents have different fin appearances.

If what i have read about the vents is true plus what I see of my rams, then yours might be a male.

I want to say male but like i said physical characteristics kinda only help sadly

Thanks guys for replies as I only have one and have completely fallen in love with I want to get either 1 or 2 more would that be okay I have a 300litre tank ??

General rule for rams would be 2 feet of footprint per breeding pair. If you dont have any pairs could get away with a few more as they tend to flair more than attack each other when not breeding. They are picky on mates so best way to get a pair is to supply your male with 4 or 5 females to pick from then return the others once they bond. (Ask your lfs if they will let you before you try lol)

General rule for rams would be 2 feet of footprint per breeding pair. If you dont have any pairs could get away with a few more as they tend to flair more than attack each other when not breeding. They are picky on mates so best way to get a pair is to supply your male with 4 or 5 females to pick from then return the others once they bond. (Ask your lfs if they will let you before you try lol)

Thank you lol yeah I would but not sure they would accept that lol worth a try Thoe :)

Back
Top Bottom