How to test rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stevieb2k11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I brought home some rocks from the seaside wen i went on holiday in somerset in england and was just wondering if i could put them in my freshwater tank

Boil them first, also monitor your waters chemistry after you put them in, it mY change the ph in your tank and also water hardness

DO NOT boil rocks. Differing densities can create differing expansion rates, which can cause structural failures. Worse scenario would be any fracture or crack where water can infiltrate the structure and expand rapidly. Worst case result is explosion with shrapnel.

You can just as effectively treat it with hot water and a good stiff brushing. Water does not need to reach the boiling point and you don't have to submerge the rock.

You can test the rock by dropping some vinegar on it. Vinegar is an acid and if the rock bubbles at all you shouldn't add it to your tank. Otherwise, hot water, stiff brush, then let it completely dry out for a few days.

Stevieb2k11 said:
I brought home some rocks from the seaside wen i went on holiday in somerset in england and was just wondering if i could put them in my freshwater tank

Depend what type of fish, what do you keep??

I test my rocks because I don't wanna add anything that will raise or lower my ph. So I drop a few drops of vinegar on it, and if you can see tiny bubbles, it is not safe. There is probably something you can use to test for lower ph too, like liquid soap.

MonsterfishGuy said:
Put them im an oven pre-heat at 450F for 45 min and they will be dry and ready 2 hours after!

To effectively sterilize instruments the standard protocol for a dry air often is 320 F for two hours, or forced air 320 F for 6 min. However, we simply are not dealing with having to reach that level of sterilization with aquarium rocks. Sterilization protocol is for resistant strains of aggressive bacteria. The dangers involved far outweigh any benefit.

If you are going for a more thorough sterilization process with rocks, DO NOT pre-heat and force the object into a situation where there is a drastic temperature rise over a short period of time. Insert the rock and slowly raise the temperature incrementally over time. Allow the rock to absorb the heat and equalize the higher temperature at the core.

The nice part about an oven is that you are normally shielded from projectiles on 5 sides and the front typically has double pained tempered anti-shatter glass. So, at least it will be slowed down if it fractures.

There simply isn't a good reason to overdue things in these instances.

I currently have 23 fish in my aqaurium they are freshwater fish that include
8 neon tetras
4 zebra danios
5 glo light tetras
5 harlequin rasboraa
1 loach

this probably will sound dumb to most of you but what ive heard ppl doing when they make their rocks fro saltwater tanks they put them on the in the tank of the toilet where the water collects for a few weeks and every time you flush the water and bad things from the rock will get flushed too, u could do that or soke them in a bucket for a few weeks and changing the water either every day or every other day

Dale_I said:
DO NOT boil rocks. Differing densities can create differing expansion rates, which can cause structural failures. Worse scenario would be any fracture or crack where water can infiltrate the structure and expand rapidly. Worst case result is explosion with shrapnel.

You can just as effectively treat it with hot water and a good stiff brushing. Water does not need to reach the boiling point and you don't have to submerge the rock.

You can test the rock by dropping some vinegar on it. Vinegar is an acid and if the rock bubbles at all you shouldn't add it to your tank. Otherwise, hot water, stiff brush, then let it completely dry out for a few days.

Thanks I never heard about that before, I've always boiled them for five minutes then let them air dry, appreciate the advice!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom