How to Treat Betta with Velvet/Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A recent pet store rescue is not doing well- he has visible fin rot, and I’ve noticed shiny gold patches on him under a flashlight, possibly velvet. I’ve put him into QT- a ten gallon with some java moss and an anubias, and two merited snail pals to help keep it clean. I can move the snails during treatment, however.
What would treatment be? I’ve read conflicting things, ranging from use salt to don’t use salt and so on.
I have never treated fin rot or velvet before, but I just want to help this little guy.

Treat velvet / Oodinium just like ick, raise the water temp. 84 - 86 degrees, vac the bottom of tank daily, with small WC's. Here's the kicker, black out the tank. Cover it with a blanket. The Oodinium bug needs light to survive. Good luck.

Betta could become stressed no matter what you do. I would leave the gravel, when you start taking things out of the tank more stress the fish gets. You will still have to vacuum the bottom with or without gravel. I have 2 -10 gallons. My Betta goes into a hole new clean treated, heated tank when I gotta clean the dirty one. I'm dealing with Ick and fin rot cause I added other fish from a pet store. Anyways, I think it's just less stress on him while I can clean the dirty one twice as good. I've been doing the heat and soaking his pebbles in garlic juice. 2-3 pebbles once a day.

Back
Top Bottom