How to treat ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah he'll do okay at higher temps, some people have kept them at 86° with discus so as a temporary temperature it'll be fine

Raising the temperature will work. Additionally you can feed your fish some ginger powder and garlic powder. To me it did wonders everytime. I feed fish twice. One feed I mix garlic powder with pellets or flakes or anything. Nexr feed I mix ginger powder. Really every time it took like three to four days maximum. Garlic and ginger increase fish immune system drastically. I even seen some people throw garlic cloves in tank. You can see YouTube.

Also most important thing is to shut down lights of tank.

I i have minced garlic would work? And why do i turn off the light?
Ich parasite doesn't like light. Turning off the lights will fast its cycle. If your fish can bite on chunks of minced garlic thats perfect too.

If you guys are interested at all, only one of my tetras has ick now, And only 2 dots on him! It looks like the treatment is working.

I heated the water to 86-89 degrees, turned off the light, did lots of gravel vacuuming, and fed them minced garlic, i also started feeding pellets for more dense foods to give them more energy. Not sure if that really makes a difference

Kash, don't confuse Ick with Oodinium. Blacking out an Ick infested tank will probably reduce stress, and aid in the fish's recovery, but will have little effect on the parasite itself. Oodinium is the bug that requires light to flourish.

So the ich hasn't gone away since then so i think ill be doing the salt dosing. How much should i do per gallon (i dont have any live plants). So far its only been the tetras, my kuhli loaches havent gotten ich yet. I have a 10g tank if that helps for dosing.

What is the temp you have the tank at?

Or after raising the temp how long and what temp did you hold it at?

There are a few resistant strains I read about a long while back.

I raised it to 86-89 degrees. I held it there for about 3 weeks, it was kinda inconsistent because its fall and the house gets cool in the night, i dont think that the heater could catch up some times. But it never got too cold for the fish, it just couldnt hold it at the temp i set it at.

Back
Top Bottom