How to use silversides?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leaf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm considered adding silversides to my Oscars' feeding schedule, probably on a once a week basis.

I've had the two Tiger Oscars for a little over a year now and they are about 9 inches in total length.

After looking at the frozen package of silversides, I have some feeding questions..

Should the silversides be thawed first, or fed to the fish while frozen?

Should the silversides be cut or chopped up or doesn't that matter?

Are silversides a bad food choice for Oscars?
Searching on here, I see most (nearly all?) questions related to feeding a saltwater inhabitant.

I kept oscars years ago. Never fed them silversides. Oscars are the trash cans of the fish hobby meaning they'll eat anything. But my big question is with so many foods available, why silversides? Just curious.

BrianNY said:
But my big question is with so many foods available, why silversides?

Why not? :)

Unless I read advice that shows it's a bad idea or not recommended, I'm just looking at options to expand their rotating daily diet of:

Frozen - krill, mysis shrimp, beefheart, Emerald Entree, Cichlid Chow, blood worms, mosquito larvae, brine shrimp

Dried - Hikari Gold, BioGold, Staple, Excel, Food Sticks; Tetra Cichlid Sticks and Color sticks

:wink:

I am not sure exatly what a silverside is, but you should definately thaw it out first. I'm not sure on the size of the fish, but you might want to put it into smaller pieces if you don't want your oscars tearing it apart and messing up your tank.

OK Leaf, I get your point. :D Your fish are the gourmets of MN aquarium society. Hey, I used to go out after a rain to collect live earthworms for my cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom