How would you stock a 6.6 bookshelf tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bbarb27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi -

I had a betta in a petco 6.6 gal bookshelf aquarium but recently moved him to his own 10g planted aquarium. This particular betta was perpetually stressed by seeing his own reflection in the acrylic tank, and seems to be more relaxed in a glass tank.

Now I'm trying to decide how to stock the 6.6 gal with something other than a betta. It has a longer footprint (24 inches) but is only 8" wide and 9" high. I plan to do a low light (no CO2) planted tank, but wasn't sure what nano species might do well in that set up. I've never had a shrimp tank, and have considered making this a shrimp tank.

Any thoughts? The tank has currently has a heater, pool filter sand substrate, and anubias, java fern, wisteria and a small amazon sword.

I would do a few Guppies, some Red Cherry Shrimp, and a snail.

I would do a few Guppies, some Red Cherry Shrimp, and a snail.

Funny you should say that, as my daughter talked me into buying some beautiful male guppies this weekend. I thought maybe I'd put them in the 6.6 gal once the betta moved out, but they've settled nicely into a heavily planted 10g (formerly home to a school of white cloud minnows) and I don't want to make them move out!

Maybe a pair or trio of killies . Or some endlers and shrimp.

I thought about endlers. How many could I safely stock a 6.6 gal? The tank is slightly overfiltered (if there is such a thing) with an aqua clear 20 plus a decent sized sponge filter.

I don't know much about killies but will do some research.

Bbarb27 said:
Funny you should say that, as my daughter talked me into buying some beautiful male guppies this weekend. I thought maybe I'd put them in the 6.6 gal once the betta moved out, but they've settled nicely into a heavily planted 10g (formerly home to a school of white cloud minnows) and I don't want to make them move out!

Yeah some Guppies are gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom