How would you stock this 30 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joker741

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a friend that just got a 30 gallon that is currently cycling. It is 30 1/4" wide, 12 1/2" deep and 18 3/4" tall. He has very little experince with fish and really has no idea what he wants. He has said anything from a single big fish to a schooling tank, to a community tank, but knows he doesn't want real plants. So I am looking for ideas to help him.

Give me your ideas, not what you think he would want, but what you would put in there for a fish only tank if you were given this tank.

Well first I would want to plant it, just a habit I have. Then for stocking I would probably go with whiteclouds, and a dwarf gourami with kuli loaches for the bottom. OR couple rams and rummynose tetra with a bristlenose pleco for the bottom. OR some kribs, upside down catfish and African redeye tetra.

Keep it simple for now. I'd go with some basic rasboras and/or tetras, as well as some cherry barbs. A more common gourami or an angel would make a nice centerpiece-type fish.

small school of cories, BN pleco, and small school of tetras...and maybe a little bigger centerpeice fish like a gourami...
and i would make it heavily planted...just because i think aquatic plants are a lot cooler than terrestrial plants...with a few shrimps

Thanks for the ideas. I am basically planning this tank for him and helping him do all the set up.

What do you guys think of this idea, 2 Dwarf Gouramis, 7 Rummy Nose Tetras, 5 Pristella Tetras, 4 Peppered Corys and 2 Nerite Snails. You get some size, some color, a couple schools and a nice community tank.

The only problem I see with the stock list is having 2 gouramis in the same tank, they are very territorial.

Yeah I'd lean against getting two DG's. They are extremely territorial. You'd be fine with one, I absolutely loved my DG. I would also consider bumping the number of cories up if you can. They will be a lot more active with some more buddies.

What do you guys think of this idea, 2 Dwarf Gouramis, 7 Rummy Nose Tetras, 5 Pristella Tetras, 4 Peppered Corys and 2 Nerite Snails. You get some size, some color, a couple schools and a nice community tank.

In a 30 gallon tank, I don't think you'd have a problem with a full size gourami. Just my .02.

Also, the rummynoses are pretty picky about clean water. Just thought I'd mention it since you said your friend is new to the hobby.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I have 2 DGs in my tank and they do great that is why I suggested them for his.

I will be helping him with taking care of his tank so the water should stay clean.

I will look into other options, thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom