HUGE algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vemus1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 46 gallon freshwater tank and the algea is a huge problem. I've had algae problems in the tank since I first cycled it 2 years ago. I believe it is brown algae and it is all over the glass.

I regularly scrape the algae,
I've tried chems that kill algae,
I've had plants that all died due to the algae,
I've had snail that eats algae,
my light is on a timer for 10 hrs a day,
I change more 20% of the water every other week, sometimes more often

AND THERE IS STILL ALGAE

help me please :banghead:

Can you give us some specifics on your tank?

Size? Stock? Live plants? What sort of lights do you have? Types of bulbs? Any natural sunlight? What are you nitrate readings? 20% every other week seems pretty low -- most people do 30%-50% weekly. Also got a pic of the algae?

View attachment 246146View attachment 246148View attachment 246149ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407625653.204679.jpg

I currently only have fake plants because the real plants will eventually die due to the algae taking over.

I have a 36 inch double bright marineland led fixture that I got a few weeks ago to replace a dim, aging fluorescent light

Zero direct sunlight enters the tank

Nitrate readings are 40 to 50 ppm

I realize 20% every other week is low, I try my hardest to do it as often as possible. Do you think a 15 gallon change per week is sufficient?

I currently run two Marineland Penguin 200 HOBs and plan on replacing them with an API Filstar XP-L

I don't know if this matters but my ph reading 8.4+

Thanks alot

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Zero direct sunlight and only a doublebright? That doesn't add up to major algae? Maybe get some oto's or small pleco?

15 gallons a week should be fine

I just put the 3rd tube in the aqueon modular LED light and boom algae everywhere, but I actually wanted some for my hillstream loaches but I lowered the time the light was on by an hour and I unplug one of the bulbs sometime.

Oh and be careful the angles might eventually eat the danios

View attachment 246146View attachment 246148View attachment 246149View attachment 246152

I currently only have fake plants because the real plants will eventually die due to the algae taking over.

I have a 36 inch double bright marineland led fixture that I got a few weeks ago to replace a dim, aging fluorescent light

Zero direct sunlight enters the tank

Nitrate readings are 40 to 50 ppm

I realize 20% every other week is low, I try my hardest to do it as often as possible. Do you think a 15 gallon change per week is sufficient?

I currently run two Marineland Penguin 200 HOBs and plan on replacing them with an API Filstar XP-L

I don't know if this matters but my ph reading 8.4+

Thanks alot

Is your water from a well? Diatoms feed off of silicates which can sometimes be found in abundance in well water.

I would try to increase the water change to a weekly 50%. That will drop your nitrates down lower which might also help in controlling the algae.

Reducing your photoperiod wouldn't hurt too -- try 6 hours for the time being along with the increased PWCs.

Is your water from a well? Diatoms feed off of silicates which can sometimes be found in abundance in well water.

I would try to increase the water change to a weekly 50%. That will drop your nitrates down lower which might also help in controlling the algae.

My water is from a well but it is treated and softened in a city facility

According to test strips my tap and tank water is soft

My best suggestion is to try to decrease the photo period. There are other options, however they are potentially expensive or very labor intensive.

Your tank maintenance is simply poor. You need to be doing weekly pwc's. I know this because your nitrates are way too high. Your lack of wcs tells me that you don't clean your substrate often enough either which probably means your filters are disgusting.

With all the build up or organics in the tank it no wonder you have algae issues. Either get on top of your tank maintenance or give up the hobby.

Cutting your photo period would help a bit but won't ever solve your problems.

Your tank maintenance is simply poor. You need to be doing weekly pwc's. I know this because your nitrates are way too high. Your lack of wcs tells me that you don't clean your substrate often enough either which probably means your filters are disgusting.

With all the build up or organics in the tank it no wonder you have algae issues. Either get on top of your tank maintenance or give up the hobby.

Cutting your photo period would help a bit but won't ever solve your problems.
Little harsh? The OP said water changes every other week, I wouldn't call that a lack of, but at only 20% every week would be better especially when your having issues.

With that said your tank does look pretty dirty

40-50 ppm nitrates is probably where my tank is after a week, they day before a water change.

Get a pleco

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
A small one, not a common pleco

Little harsh? The OP said water changes every other week, I wouldn't call that a lack of, but at only 20% every week would be better especially when your having issues.

With that said your tank does look pretty dirty

40-50 ppm nitrates is probably where my tank is after a week, they day before a water change.

A small one, not a common pleco

Thanks for your (positive) advice

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom