Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Huge move with a tank need advice

Ok so here is it my husband wants to move to Arizona. We live in Minnesota currently. Yes this will be the mother of all moves with 5 kids already! But I would also be taking my tanks with me. Would it make more sense to re-home the fish I have and start over or take them with me? I am not terribly attached to most of them but a few I am. But this isn't just moving across town, this is 1500 miles with kids and entire house to unload and set up once we get there and I know my husband's first priority isn't going to be setting up 3 fish tanks as soon as we get there. It will be at least a 2 day drive with 5 kids 5 cats and 2 dogs. Everybody is going to be worn out. So is it worth is to take the fish with?

Old 04-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

how big are these tanks and what fish

Old 04-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Unless a fish is special it will easier and more enjoyable after the move to set up in nice and planned pace . I would not bring fish .
Moving is hard enough...
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Having moved qith & without tanks aevwral times I have to agree with Coralbandit - unless it is a fish you are REALLY attached to for it's personality or a tank you really dont want to replace because it's replacement cost or great interior design sell them, put the money received from the sale in a separate account or whatever & when you are settled in the new place you have a "down-payment" on the tank(s) you have already been planning in your head 😊
Old 04-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's what I was thinking too. I don't really have any fish other than my angel, pleco and the glofish (nicknamed the fish that cannot die!) But 3 days in transit really won't be good on any of them! Also keeping up the bb filter shouldn't be an issue. I still have most of a gallon of ammo! The plants should travel fine. I guess I am excited and terrified at the same time!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
That's what I was thinking too. I don't really have any fish other than my angel, pleco and the glofish (nicknamed the fish that cannot die!) But 3 days in transit really won't be good on any of them! Also keeping up the bb filter shouldn't be an issue. I still have most of a gallon of ammo! The plants should travel fine. I guess I am excited and terrified at the same time!
As you already know, you can't just sit a tank somewhere, fill it wit water and drop in the fish. You're going to have enough unpacking and arranging furniture, getting the kids enrolled in school...etc. Leave the fish to other good homes and start your hobby over when you get settled in. You don't even know what tap water perameters you're going to have to deal with yet. If it winds up being really soft, you're going to have buffering issues to deal with or you'll keep having to put up with pH stability. Concentrate on establishing your own comfort in the new place 1st and resume your fishkeeping as soon as you're established. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Imo, if its your husband who wants to move than id talk to him about setting up the tanks when you get there. If all is packaged right everything should make it. Sounds like you got your hands full as it is. But, I'm sure with 5 kids, you should have some help.people ship fish to Michigan in the winter with hand warmers and insulated and boxes from anywhere. It's your call. But, I know if there's fish I'd want to keep I'd keep them. You can always float them in a container til the tank is set. Just a thought.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Iíd keep the fish if I were you. You could see if a friend or neighbor would be willing to look after the tank then ship it to you if you want the fish that badly.

Tags
advice, huge, move, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com