Hungry hungry pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NATFT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a juvenile Pleco and all he wants to do is eat! Because he is so small (50mm head to tail) I will feed him a quarter of an algae wafer a night and place a blanched cucumber in the tank. He nibbles on the wafer until it's all gone and this morning I wake up and he is still going on the cucumber. I can't believe how much the little guy has eaten! Part fish part machine...
Should I leave the cucumber in the tank until he loses interest or should I remove it in the morning?

Remove it when he loses interest. You don't want to run the risk of polluting your water.

It hasn't been in there longer than 12 hours. He is unstoppable at the moment!
How long until it would start polluting my tank?
Thanks for the reply bettaowner!

If it's been in there for more than a day you should take it out regardless then test the water and do a water change if the parameters look bad.

I hang blanched zucchini slices on veggies clips in the 220 every other day. They go in first thing in the morning during feeding and are removed the next morning. Then the tank and the algae eaters have a day of rest as they don't need to stuff themselves daily, which they will if constantly offered food.

I hang blanched zucchini slices on veggies clips in the 220 every other day. They go in first thing in the morning during feeding and are removed the next morning. Then the tank and the algae eaters have a day of rest as they don't need to stuff themselves daily, which they will if constantly offered food.

+1
My plecs get veggies once every 3 days.
In the meantime they stuff themselves on the left over food.

Back
Top Bottom