Husbands "natural" tank info & questions - long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So the hubby belongs to the *it's just a fish tank* club - he has a 125g with 2 LARGE plecos 12-15", an SAE, 2 Split Fins, a dozen or so Kribs that occasionally breed & multiple platys that breed regularly but with all the other fish most of the fry are generally just a live food source. He feeds, does water changes when they seem to be acting strange or start dying but other than that he pretty much leaves everything alone. The algae gets tackled when it finally gets to the point *I* can't stand looking at it anymore because he says the fish like to eat it and it provides cover for the fry. So it's algae time again because it's all I see when I look in his tank & he is getting a lot of platy deaths (one every few of days sometimes). I won't be able to get it all, even if he would let me. I am going to replace at least 1/2-3/4 of his plants (they're all plastic) & try to trim the worst of the algae covered "leaves" off the rest. Other than less food (he DOES overfeed but says it all gets eaten off the bottom by the plecos & others scavenging)or less light (tank faces large front window & he turns the lights on at 7am & off at 10 pm) neither of which are going to change without a major battle, is there anything we(I) can do to perhaps slow down the algae growth? Also how does everyone keep their nets clean/sanitized? I never really thought about net care before because *I* have never had any problems in my tanks other than the occasional ick break out but now I want to prevent passing anything he might have to my tanks since he is experiencing such a large die off.

Live plants are quickly eaten or destroyed that's why they're all plastic now

The way you describe your husband's tank, it must be gross. Might want to buy a couple of nets solely for your personal tanks. i'm very pro Pleco, but not for the huge growing common ones. I'm sure they produce enough waste to keep your husband's excessive tank algae well fed. maybe if you show him some of the other AA members posted 125 gal. Tank photos he might come around to your way of thinking. If worse comes to worse you can always install a UV sterilizer to lessen some of the free floating algae. Good luck.

Buy another net and label them so there is no risk of contamination.

Plants may not last long in this tank but you could buy a floating plant like duckweed or salvinia. It will multiply quickly, remove excess nutrients and reduce the light intensity. It will also provide cover and duckweed can be a food source for some fish.

Reduce light period to about 7 hours and water change more often.

These steps should help.

Back
Top Bottom