HY511 tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterTropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My LFS is selling these. Just thought it was cool to see a fish that has no common name yet. They were recently discovered and have no name yet just numbers!

Has anybody else ever heard of these?

Sorry, I was gonna paste it in link but it wouldn't let me.... google the name and click the livefishdirect one....

Bubble_B0y said:
they look like a serpae tetra/bleeding heart tetra

Ya, they do.... maybe they're a cross breed.... or maybe they were bred to be that

It might look like other tetras because it is in the same genus. But it's a completely different fish not a crossbreed or anything!

It doesn't look like any tetra I've seen! It has a black dot on one of it's fins and it looks pinkish...do you know if they'll be commonly available soon?

I hve no idea but my LFS has them . You can probably order online.
Try thatfishplace.com

I had a school of 6 of these fish in my 36 corner back in 2009... they were labeled as Copeland's tetras when I got them at a local LFS. here's a pic of one in with a school of rummynoses. Really nice fish!
P1100077.JPG

Yeah you should be able to find them somewhere online. That name that you bought them as could be the person who discovered them but now they don't really have a common name!

I had 5 of them, now down to 3.
I bought them as "Candy Cane Tetra" in October of 2011. Also found them under "Ornate Tetra" name or "White Fin Rosy Tetra"
Mine were quite dull, almost translucent, when I got them. Now are nice and pink. Very shy at first, for almost 5 weeks. Now they are all over the tank chasing each other. Love them.

I also purchased some of these fish from my lfs. Let me just say, awesome! They have an amazing pink tinge to them red and white fins and the. A block spot on the dorsal fins. The lfs had them in the discus tank and I was told they were his favorite fish that he had in and I see why. He had them listed as the hy511 (still know common name?) .
I have a video and some photos of them and will put them on for you but I can't do it right now. I exceed my quota or something... Does anyone know how to breed them?. Please pm me if you have experience so we don't hijack the thread

I've had some for several months now in my planted 150, they have no problems schooling up with my serpae and lemon tetras very nice fish

got some pics now that I'm home from work

Attachments

• image-352701607.jpg
    image-352701607.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image-2944850334.jpg
    image-2944850334.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 69
  • image-3772282457.jpg
    image-3772282457.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 72
Back