hybrid fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e-cat

Aquarium Advice Addict
since the feeding fish too other fish started some good discussion from the typical is my tank cycled questions, whats every oned opinion on hybrid fish like flowerhorns and parrots and others?
lets make it a two part question and throw in fish like painted tetras and "blue beary" oscars, what do you think about them also?

I am soooo glad you posted this! Now I am unfortunately not too familiar about "hybrid" but the painteds started a whole issue for me.

I loved some painted tetras I saw at my lfs. They reminded me of gum drops and I was going to get these because I thought they were cute and my 2yr old went crazy over them. But.....then in another thread I found out why they are called "painted". I did not realize that these fish were either injected with or dipped in these solutions to give them this color. I was stunned! 8O As many beautiful fish are out there and somebody had to go and "Paint" their own? Nope, I think I'll stick with God's colors, thank you very much.

I know to some people they are "just fish" but I love my little fishies and I try not to do anything to harm them myself, so I don't want to encourage a distributer to inflict pain or damage on them for viewing pleasure.

Sorry so long, but that's my take on the matter. Thanks for letting me vent my opinion. :eek:

i agree with you cherry barb, my g/f wanted too get some of the painted tetra untill i explained too what they go threw too get too those colors and not too mention that they lose those colors over time, iv also read the some glo-lite tetras and various otehr colorful tetras are getting there colors"brightened" and i just dont see any reason for this also, and blue oscars jare just ugly IMO.
now the hybrids im not so keen on them either because fish like the flowerhorn are ruining peoples chances of getting an pure strain of thr trimac which is a great cichlid and the parrots and "jellybean" cichlids just look stupid IMO.

Back
Top Bottom