Hydra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peyton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So how bad are hydra? I have them in my 10gal cherry shrinp tank. Could they kill a small cherry shrimp? I think they came with my eco-complete. So far I have seen nematodes, copods, and hydra in this tank and the only explanation I find is the eco-complete substrate. I have never seen any of these in any other tank with the exception of copods in my 40gal, that also has eco-complete.

i personally don't think so, but i've never had hydra in with small fish/inverts that long. i've heard they can kill baby fish and maybe sting bigger fish, but maybe someone else can pop in

Mollies like to eat them, but they may also like to eat your shrimp. Any chemical that will kill the hydra will also kill your shrimp. You may have to move the shrimp, drop in some mollies, and return the shrimp after the mollies have cleaned out the hydra.

how about gouramis? loan a pearl/three-spot gourami (not a big one!) from your lfs - though i don't know about their affection for shrimp.

I had a hydra infestation in my 10 gallon shrimp tank a while back. I left the plants in the tank, moved the shrimp (and some of the snails) into a 5 gallon bucket w/airstone and heater, and double-dosed the tank with Had-a-Snail (copper sulfate solution).
The following day, I drained the tank, rinsed it well with fresh (dechlorinated) water several times, and restocked. The hydra were eliminated, along with most of the copepods they had been feeding on. There are still some tiny critters, likely related to daphnia, swimming around the tank. No problems since then.
Hydra usually come along with plants, same with the other little critters.

I strongly suggest against using any copper solution, as it can be difficult (if not impossible) to remove all traces from the tank afterwayds, and those traces will negatively affect, if not kill, any invertebrates (such as desireable shrimp/snails/etc).

Does anyone know if medication or treatment can be used with loaches in the tank (as a scaleless fish)?
I have just noticed a hydra problem in my river setup and I believe they may be responsible for harming if not killing one of my white cloud mountain minnows.

I need some help...

I have this hydra-like creatures in my tanks and I don't like them at all. Are they some type of hydras actually? How can I remote them? Thanks!

cyjFjK

http://picasaweb.google.com/arvalis/cyjFjK#5412109588170963474

Does anyone know if medication or treatment can be used with loaches in the tank (as a scaleless fish)?
I have just noticed a hydra problem in my river setup and I believe they may be responsible for harming if not killing one of my white cloud mountain minnows.

Tropical Fish Problem Solver Chart

There's something on here for hydra. Still looking though.

So, this is algae? In the big tank they are 1-2 cm long and not so much, but in the small one they are thousands and do not pass the 5 mm. I added another photo from the small tank. Yes, snails are really very much but they do not bother me. I do not want this 'hair' on my plants :-( Thank you for helping!

Picasa Web Albums - Ivaylo Tiholov - Λεύκωμα χωρίς...#

Definately not hydra. Definately hair algae. A few siamese algae eaters can help get that under control. However you'll need to find out whats causing it in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom