Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2002, 01:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

HYDROGEN PEROXIDE ????

i've read in a few places that you should use HYDROGEN PEROXIDE in your tanks
- extra o2
- helps decompose gunk in filters
- etc..

however no one around here has heard about this

comments on the use please

Old 12-28-2002, 03:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Are you sure? Hydrogen Peroxide is poisonous.

Old 12-28-2002, 04:00 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to targaboy78
Hi darcy_peer,

There is alot of conflicting information about the use of hydrogen peroxide in aquaria.
I found this site http://jerbaker.dhs.org/fish/peroxide2.html
Quote:
Hydrogen peroxide possesses some unusual and promising properties that might be utilized to great benefit in the aquarium hobby. Some of the principal benefits of H2O2 include: oxidation of free chlorine into chloride ions, water, and oxygen; inhibition of algae growth; oxidation of simple organic compounds (ozone or ultraviolet light act as catalysts and significantly increase peroxide's ability to oxidize complex organic compounds); oxidation of sulfur compounds [such as hydrogen sulfide (H2S) created in severely anaerobic substrates]; enhancement of the adsorption of many pollutants to activated carbon; and many other potentially beneficial properties.
That is directly followed by
Quote:
No useful theory can ignore the potential criticisms that might be leveled against it. The same holds true for my theory that hydrogen peroxide can be used in the aquarium with myriad beneficial effects and no danger to the denizens of your aquatic habitat.
He recommends;
Quote:
I have repeatedly added hydrogen peroxide to my tanks at the rate of approximately 15 mL/9 gallons. This yields an initial concentration of close to 15 mg/L. I have not seen any ill effects of this treatment to date. If we take the lower half-life as our guide, the peroxide concentration will have fallen below 0.25 mg/L within 48 hours.
There is lots of information available on the Net.
I did a google search on hydrogen peroxide aquarium and it resulted in 1820 pages.

I live by the maxim "If it ain't broke ~ don't fix it" but by all means, do your own research and do what you feel is best for you.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2002, 04:06 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have used to to clean empty tank of mineral residue. Thats about the only purpose I have ever heard of it being used for.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 05:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hydrogen Peroxide is used in garden ponds!. It super oxygenates your green water (algea) which helps to keep your water clear. I guess it would work in a fish tank as well.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to pondmom Send a message via Yahoo to pondmom
I use Hydrogen Peroxide in my ponds. It helps with the algae control.
I also have used it AFTER a PP (potassium permanganiate) bath in the ponds.
It helps rid the pond of the tea color after the pp bath.
Hope this helps

You can also add it to a spray bottle and stick the nozzel under the water as you squeeze the nozzel. This helps oxygenate the water.

5000gal + outdoor pond
125 gal FW tank
pondmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com