HYDROGEN PEROXIDE ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darcy_peer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i've read in a few places that you should use HYDROGEN PEROXIDE in your tanks
- extra o2
- helps decompose gunk in filters
- etc..

however no one around here has heard about this

comments on the use please :?: :?:

Hi darcy_peer,

There is alot of conflicting information about the use of hydrogen peroxide in aquaria.
I found this site http://jerbaker.dhs.org/fish/peroxide2.html
Hydrogen peroxide possesses some unusual and promising properties that might be utilized to great benefit in the aquarium hobby. Some of the principal benefits of H2O2 include: oxidation of free chlorine into chloride ions, water, and oxygen; inhibition of algae growth; oxidation of simple organic compounds (ozone or ultraviolet light act as catalysts and significantly increase peroxide's ability to oxidize complex organic compounds); oxidation of sulfur compounds [such as hydrogen sulfide (H2S) created in severely anaerobic substrates]; enhancement of the adsorption of many pollutants to activated carbon; and many other potentially beneficial properties.
That is directly followed by
No useful theory can ignore the potential criticisms that might be leveled against it. The same holds true for my theory that hydrogen peroxide can be used in the aquarium with myriad beneficial effects and no danger to the denizens of your aquatic habitat.
He recommends;
I have repeatedly added hydrogen peroxide to my tanks at the rate of approximately 15 mL/9 gallons. This yields an initial concentration of close to 15 mg/L. I have not seen any ill effects of this treatment to date. If we take the lower half-life as our guide, the peroxide concentration will have fallen below 0.25 mg/L within 48 hours.

There is lots of information available on the Net.
I did a google search on hydrogen peroxide aquarium and it resulted in 1820 pages.

I live by the maxim "If it ain't broke ~ don't fix it" but by all means, do your own research and do what you feel is best for you.

I hope this helps.

I have used to to clean empty tank of mineral residue. Thats about the only purpose I have ever heard of it being used for.

Hydrogen Peroxide is used in garden ponds!. It super oxygenates your green water (algea) which helps to keep your water clear. I guess it would work in a fish tank as well.

I use Hydrogen Peroxide in my ponds. It helps with the algae control.
I also have used it AFTER a PP (potassium permanganiate) bath in the ponds.
It helps rid the pond of the tea color after the pp bath.
Hope this helps

You can also add it to a spray bottle and stick the nozzel under the water as you squeeze the nozzel. This helps oxygenate the water.

Back
Top Bottom